Thursday, September 23, 2010

Time to make the doughnuts.....




Don't you love the October issue of most of the home and food magazines?  They get you in that cozy, comfort food state of mind. 

I want to pull out all the warm, loopy throws, stack wood next to the fireplace and make a chicken pot pie, from scratch....

Today is the first official day of Autumn and I am in a fall-ish mood. 

Only problem is that it is 90 degrees outside! 

So much for the turtlenecks, cords and short boots.... 

I knew that fall would arrive with a hot sizzle today, so I compensated by making a fall treat instead. 

Country Living's website has a recipe for Cider Doughnuts.  It didn't look too hard ( I haven't made doughnuts before...), so I put together the batter last night and stuck it in the fridge. 

I woke early this am to start doughnut production. 

Apparently a little rodent was up just a little sooner so he could have a feast of my trash bag on the porch.  He seems to be hanging from his post, checking out possible invaders.... 


Anyway, I tossed the batter onto a floured counter, rolled it out and cut the doughnuts. 

After the oil got to 370 degrees, in they went.  It's a little tricky to keep the temp right...too hot and they "sear" with a doughy interior.....too cool and they soak up the oil as they cook. 

After they came out of the oil, Kate was in charge of the cinnamon sugar shake.  She liked that! 

I brought these cider apple bad boys to work, hoping the guys would not find them inedible. They kind of look like oversalted bagels....

 Lucky for me, they tasted good. 

So, even though it's hot enough to hit the pool and pretend summer is still here,

Welcome Fall!  Let's get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment