Monday, November 15, 2010

Sentencing in absentia....



Don't you love it when your husband declares punishment that you end up having to carry out?  "No TV for the next two days!" he ordered my son, who deserved a punishment for something or other.  

Sounds good in theory, except for the fact that the other kid can't watch TV either, then.  

And how in the wide world of sports am I going to get dinner on the table and other household duties done at the usual 50 yd dash after school??  

I mean, it's a babysitter of sorts.  Oh come on, let's all fess up to that fact!

Either you turn on Sponge Bob so you can get the laundry folded or else you are refereeing an ultimate fighting match between siblings,

or you are setting up an elaborate art project to keep them busy for, oh, about 7.5 minutes.  

Until the next fight....  

You can imagine my glee upon finding out my dear husband laid down the law that I would have to enforce.  

Thanks, Honey....  

That'll cost you an extra bottle of wine AND those boots I have been eyeing in the Garnet Hill catalog.  Good thing we are broke or else I would follow through... 

Ok, so back to reality.....   

I have these two tired kids, just home from school, with no vegging in front of the TV.  

What to do....  light bulb!...Get the little loafers to cook!  

This is not a new revelation...the kids bake and make salads with me plenty, but it is usually when all involved are not tired, cranky and ready to snap. 

(we are talking about me, of course...)  

Anyway, I made the suggestion for Mediterranean Chicken (recipe below) and they were in.  

Kate washed and sectioned the broccoli, put together the concoction for the garlic couscous, shook the bag of flour and chicken, cracked eggs and stirred the brownie mix.  

Jack, peeled and thinly sliced the fresh garlic, halved the kalamata olives, sauteed the chicken, made the sauce and became Jaques, the waiter, once dinner was ready.  

They stayed busy and even tolerated the meal.  After that, it was up for grabs, but I survived until 7pm and then popped Kate in the tub.  

Whew!  

It was fun and I got some help with the meal...not so bad... 

Would I choose Phineas Ferb over my child spinning the salad?  

No, but ask me tomorrow, I may change my mind...

Serves 8
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 8 chicken legs (6 to 8 ounces each), split and skin removed
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
  • 4 strips orange zest (1/2 by 2 inches)
  • Coarse salt

Directions

  1. Place flour on a plate. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
  2. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, saute; chicken, turning as each side browns, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a platter.
  3. Add remaining tablespoon oil to pot. Cook onion and garlic, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 7 minutes. Add broth, tomato paste, olives, and orange zest; season with salt. Bring to a boil.
  4. Return chicken to pot. Cover; simmer, turning chicken once or twice, until tender but not falling off the bone, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.


Read more at Marthastewart.com: Mediterranean Chicken - Martha Stewart Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment