Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lists...

I'm going list crazy... 

Lists for the Thanksgiving menu, lists for the ornament party, Christmas shopping list, this week's grocery list, factory office supplies list....it is endless.  

The lists are written on scraps of paper that I cannot, for the life of me, locate in the deep recesses of my purse, when needed.  Sometimes I think searching for the list creates more stress than what needs to be accomplished on the actual list!  

How is your list looking today?  

Are you mad with Turkey day pre-preparations or do you hit the grocery store on Wednesday to fight crowds of weary twenty somethings buying a frozen Jenni-O Teriyaki turkey breasts for Thanksgiving dinner or  they are choosing a fall mum bouquet to bring home to mom?  

Or perhaps you have purchased your fresh heritage turkey and are currently brining it?  

Yeah, me neither.  

Truth be told, my parents are cooking Thankgiving dinner and I am bringing dessert...

Got off easy, but we like a little turkey at home, too.  

So I am roasting a small ten pounder myself.  Every year I make my dad's famous stuffing he created one Thanksgiving morning in the early 1970's while my mom was sick with the flu.  

It has the usual ingredients, with a little of this and that, 

plus a can of beer.  

It was so delicious and it keeps evolving year after year.  

However, I am going to break from tradition and make the White Castle stuffing that people are talking about.  Tom had it many years ago and loved it, so we thought we'd give it a go.  

Here is the recipe I am using.  Have you made it?  Any tips or suggestions?

WHITE CASTLE TURKEY STUFFING

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
10 White Castle hamburgers,
Pickle removed
1 1/2 c Celery, diced
1 1/4 ts Ground thyme
1 1/2 ts Ground sage
3/4 ts Coarse ground black pepper
1/4 c Chicken broth

In a large mixing bowl, tear the White Castle
hamburgers into pieces and add diced celery and
seasonings. Toss and add chicken broth. Toss well.
Stuff cavity of turkey just before roasting. Makes
about 9 cups (enough for 10-12 lb bird).
NOTE: Allow 1 White Castle hamburger for each pound of
turkey, which will be the equivilent of 3/4 cup
stuffing per pound.
Time to tackle the lists.  

Drudgery, a little bit.....

..so to lighten the mood, here are my kids mimicking Steve Buscemi's rat, Templeton, from the movie, "Charlotte's Web"..... makes me laugh everytime!

P.S. Sharon is the winner of the cute yellow felt pin as she was the only one to comment on the blog.....


3 comments:

  1. Yay! Yep, me too with the lists. I need a list to tell me where the other lists are! I went to the store last week only to not find it when I knew I had it somewhere. AFTER leaving the store, I found it wrapped in something else. What the?

    The White Castle stuffing sounds tasty, can you make it as a dressing instead and put it in the oven? I may try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Miss Sharon! Yes, why not make it as a dressing? We had friends who used to have a "White Trash Turkey Fry" the night before thanksgiving and White Castles were an appetizer, along with Cheese Whiz and Ho Ho's. Saw a lot of mullets.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori

    I can't believe I forgot to post my baking memories with 4 kids that didn't really want to bake.

    I have not made one list yet this year. Thanksgiving list and shopping are on the agenda today. I may have to try the White Castle stuffing if you thing the frozen burgers from the store would work. Dubuque doesn't have a White Castle surprisingly since we sell more Busch Lite than any other county in Iowa!

    Happy Holidays to you and your family!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete