Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Finding Gratitude...



After last night's deluge and resulting leaks throughout my tired, old house, combined with heart-stopping

 crisis at work, one would think gratitude would be a scarce commodity. 

For me, recognizing the fact that I wanted to hurl the non-cooperating fax machine through the office window

while biting the head off of anyone within clawing distance was merely the symptoms of PMS,

helped to calm my desire to commit a felony. 

All I needed was to find some good, old fashioned gratitude. 

Not surprisingly, I found it close to home. 

First stop on the gratitude tour was a visit to The Paulina Meat Market. 

This historic bastion of all things meat, Paulina Meat Market is a beloved treasure in our neighborhood. 

What's not to love in a place that sells Turducken, I ask you?

There, I waited in line, among other friends of all things meat,

to be taken care of by kindly butchers in paper hats. 

I walked out with my 10 lb turkey, happy. 

The next wave of gratitude was not expected. 

I needed to get groceries and I had to bring the kids along; a deadly combination. 

Kids + late in the day + candy in the checkout aisle = HELL. 

I strongly suggested to them that good behavior would result in their favorite extra long link of beef jerky

IF they made me proud and did not ask for anything else. 

Ok, really, can kids be coerced into being civil little persons for beef jerky? 

Yep! 

For that, I am grateful. 

Back at home, Jack did his homework without much prodding (so grateful),

and now they are laughing hysterically to "America's Funniest Home Videos". 

I am grateful for their sweet laughter. 

Now we are in the process of baking the Acorn Cake, (photo above)

which I found from sweets diva extraordinaire,


I hope you have lots to be grateful for, too. 

My cup is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment