Thursday, November 18, 2010

Keeping Kids Busy...Part Deux...


Tom is still out of town... 

He is in Nashville and if he name drops one more Country Western star he has seen, had lunch with, 
or seen their tour bus, I am gonna whup his country ass.  

He doesn't even like country music, but now the name Barbara Mandrel rolls off his tongue 
 like they are old buddies.  

Back at the ranch, I am ferrying kids to karate, after working at the factory all day.  

Thank God I put the pot roast in the slow cooker this morning 
or else it would have been chips and dip for dinner tonight.  

I am hosting my annual ornament decorating/ drinking party for some of my girlie-friends in about two weeks.  This house needs to transform from Fall to Christmas about 15 minutes after the last spoonful of stuffing has been consumed, so I am starting now with some preparations.  

One good thing to do would be to remove the rotted head on a stick in our front yard.  

Tom put it there to add ambiance to the plywood mess we have grown accustomed to.  

I forget it's there and I believe Halloween is over, right?  

Oh, well, it kind of represents how we feel about our house....

 Anyway, back to holiday party preparations...  

I saw an idea in Country Living magazine to affix pinecones to a grapevine wreath to  make a holiday wreath.  Well, as luck would have it, my mom gave me a big bag of pinecones a few weeks back. 
So, Kate and I hit JoAnn's tonight and bought 2 wreaths.  

I set about hot glueing the pinecones to the wreaths and the plan was for the kids to paint Elmer's glue on them before we dust the whole wreath in gold glitter.  

I love glitter! 

Not to the point of Liberace, but a little sparkle works for me.  

Anyway, do not ask your kids to be creative in any way, shape or form, after 5pm.  
How is it possible to find ways to argue over glue and pinecones?!

They each had their own bowl of glue, but they were seconds from a full on glue fight before I stepped in.  Had the glitter been within arm's reach I would be cleaning glitter from the ceiling instead of writing this post.  

In these photos, they look industrious and even downright angelic.  

Don't be fooled!  

So, we finished the wreaths and hung them on the front doors.  I'm thinkin' not enough glitter and perhaps a bow is in order.  

Tom gets back tomorrow, all starstruck from a slow dance with Minnie Pearl or something...
(is she still alive??).  

I am sure he has forgotten that he is taking the kids to the circus tomorrow night
while I go out for drinks and shopping with a friend. ..

It all works out in the wash.......heh heh heh!

P.S.  Don't forget to drop me a comment on yesterday's post with your fave cookie.  So far, Sharon is a shoe in to win that adorable felt pin......

1 comment:

  1. Of course you have a large bag of pinecones laying around and are able to find something to do with them. I have some things like that...a huge box of beads (that mom picked up at a garage sale), a box of shells (Uncle Gene picked-up on Florida beaches), and there they sit...in the boxes! No creativity going on here. :) Sharon

    ReplyDelete