Thursday, July 25, 2013

Purging Toys...



I'm feeling sneaky...  

Jack is still away at camp 
and Kate is petting bunnies at zoo camp...  

This is a rare opportunity 
to purge the toy bins
 of miscellaneous toys...  

The bits of broken cars, legos
 and superheroes number in the hundreds 
and they have piled up in these bins 
for too long...  

There is no way I could conduct 
this organizational chore 
with the kids present...
  

They would moan and whine 
over every last broken McDonald's Happy Meal toy, 
as if it was a long lost memento 
of their fleeting youth... 

 

 A mere five percent of what needs
to be thrown out would, in fact, 
make it to the trash...  

That is not the purpose of this exercise...  

PURGE, I say!  

If the toys have not been missed,
 languishing in the tubs forever, 
they will certainly not be missed in the alley...  

These poor Barbies are among a group of gals 
who got the wrong end of the scissors... 


Looks like playing "Beauty Shop" 
was more like "Little Shop of Horrors"...

They preferred to pose anonymously...
It was too shameful..

But I do feel a twinge of sadness 
to see the toys fade from view...  

Just as I miss Kate's squishy arms and legs 
as a baby and Jack's sweet little toddler toes 
and the way he first held his bottle... 

 Now he throws a mean fastball 
and has feet the same size as mine
 and Kate has long legs 
and talks like a tweener...   

I could not part with everything...  

Kate's play food and dress up gear
went back in the bin and up to her room...  


Jack might want his Hot Wheels some day...  

As I was sifting through the toys, 
I found a whole army of plastic military guys...  


My mind went to "Toy Story", 
and I imagined these little green men talking 
to each other via walkie talkie, 



"Ok, Men!  
Position yourselves to be seen and saved!  
That's right...  
You!  
Over there!  
No man gets left behind!"  

No, I was not half way through a bottle of Jack Daniels, 
but I couldn't throw those guys out...  

Jack might want to play with them a few more times 
or he might want to blow them up...  

You never know... 


So, I gathered every last plastic guy 
and corralled them in a Ziploc bag...  

The kids are growing up so fast, and the electronics 
are already eclipsing the dollies 
and Tonka Trucks...  

Maybe I will keep some toys around a bit longer...  

And not just for the kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment