Monday, July 29, 2013

A Favorite Grocery List...




Don't you love lists? 

"Top Five Beaches in the World",  

"The Top Ten Worst Celebrity Face Lifts!", 

"The Best New Restaurants, 2013",

" People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive", 

and here's a good one... 

"Consumer Reports: Best Front Loading Washers"...  

Okay, the last one is boring, 
but I think we all like to read about
 "the best of," or ranks of people, cars 
or even lawn mowers...  

We like to feel like we are in the know,
 and/or have an educated mind
 about consumer products, right?  

And here is where I present 
my not-so-scintillating list of AWESOME products 
I have found/used/loved 
from my two favorite grocery stores: 

Aldi 


and Trader Joes...  


Ok, you might already be nodding off...  

If you are, check back with me 
in a few days...  

Maybe I'll have a post more to your liking...  

You know what, though? 

 I love it when a friend raves 
over an item she found at the store...  

First of all, the item is probably something 
I may not have noticed on the shelves, ever...  

Secondly, her high rating gives the product 
instant credibility, increasing my chances 
of giving that product a road test...  

You can forget commercials, 
magazine ads or pop ups on Facebook...  

If a friend says that the frozen pizzas at Aldi rock 
and they are only $4.99, I am so there...  

Look, these days it's not like my life is about
 comparing emeralds or the newest cabin cruiser...  

It's about finding small glories in less precious, 
but quite satisfying finds, 
like a cheap, but delicious rose' wine...  

So, without further soap boxing, 
the following are items I have found, tested 
and LOVED at Aldi and Trader Joes...  

No, I have not been compensated, either, 
with product or cash...

These are just things I like...

If you don't have these stores in your town, 
I am sorry and I hope they open there very soon! 

 Also, if you have found totally awesome products 
that you would like to share, 
PLEASE DO! 

I love hearing about cool, new stuff!!


1. Benton's Caramel Coconut Fudge Cookies:
Hold onto your sashes, People!  
These cookies taste EXACTLY like 
Girl Scout cookies Samoas!  
I am going to have to close my eyes
 and zip right past them at Aldi because 
it is tempting to buy 10 boxes.  
The kids went crazy, they are so good...

2. Trader Joe's Bacon Cheddar Ranch Dip: 


aka Crack in our house...  
This dip is a chunky, cheesy, bacon-y narcotic 
and my father would have main lined it if possible...  
Great with crackers, baby carrots 
and sugar snap peas...

3.  La Ferme Julien Rose': 
 T$ and I are whisked away to Paris 
when we enjoy this wine... 
Okay, maybe Paris, Texas, 
but it is a tasty, light summer wine, 
and at only $4.99 a bottle, 
a great deal at Trader Joes...

4.  Trader Giottos Balsamic Glaze:  


If you are a fan of the tomato/basil/mozzarella salad, 
this glaze is for you...  
It is so delicious drizzled over the salad, 
but it is also wonderful with grilled meats...  
Forget reducing balsamic vinegar over the stove...  
The kitchen gets that acidy, 
almost acrid smell and trust me, 
it won't taste nearly as good as this velvety glaze...

5.  Aldi's Specially Selected Plain Goat Cheese:  


Cheese ain't cheap... 
 Have you priced out a nice hunk 
of parmesan cheese lately?  
Might as well re-mortgage the house!   
I am a big fan of goat cheese 
and Aldi sells logs of it, same size, 
but half the price... 
Oh yeah!!
Oh, and try the goat cheese with blueberries 
smeared all over it...
Delectable with crackers!!

6.  Trader Joe's Mediterranean Hummus: 


 There is something about the spices 
and bunch of marinated pine nuts 
decorating this tub of hummus that speaks to me...  
Mainly it says, 
"C'mon...Hoover me...
You know you want to..."

7.  Angry Orchard Hard Cider:  
 
I bought a case of this at Binny's
 after an English friend of T$'s introduced me to it... 
 Yum... 
 But I can only have one or it's lights out!

8.  Trader Joes Steamed and Peeled Baby Beets:  

 

I'm on a serious beet jag right now 
and these beets are ready to go 
when I want my favorite beet salad...

9. Trader Joes Spanish Cheese Tapas Sampler:

 
You get three great cheeses to try 
and they are shaped in cute, small triangles...  
They make your antipasto platter look so chic.  
Also, try TJ's salami and cheese kits 
which are also a quick way to amp up 
the wow factor for those tailgate parties...

10:Trader Joe's Soy Creamer:  


A few months ago I gave up sugar in my coffee, 
only because this creamer 
makes sugarless coffee more palatable.  
It has only 32 calories per serving, 
no fat and only one carb, too.   
Actually, it is very creamy 
and I use it in place of heavy cream
 for cooking sometimes...

11:  Aldi's Mama Cozzi Frozen Pizzas:  


At $4.99 a pizza, 
this is my go to for after school kid throw downs
 or for those nights when cooking
 seems the worst chore ever...  
They are pretty tasty...  
They aren't Happy Joe's, Harris or Art of Pizza
mind you, but they suffice in a pinch 
and a cheap one at that!

12: Aldi's Turano Italian Bread: 



This massive loaf of bread 
lasts me at least a month...  
Thinly sliced, it make the best bruschetta 
or breakfast toast...  
Kept in the freezer, 
it's a good thing, Martha!

13:  Aldi's Savoritz Pita Crackers: 


 The crispy little rounds of snacking goodness 
were a exciting find since they are so much less expensive 
than the pita chips 
at the regular grocery stores...  
And I think they taste better, too...

14:  Biscoff Cookie Spread: 
 
Holy Elixir from God, Batman!  
This stuff is unbelievable...  
I saved the best for last...  
This cookie spread tastes like 
the yummy little cookies they serve to you on the Delta flights 
 here in Chicago... 


Ground into a spread, 
this buttery cinnamon-y confection 
is fantastic in a sandwich with sliced bananas...  
Or as Gooey Bars (try this recipe; you will thank me)
  
If you buy nothing else on this list, 
just give Mrs. Biscoff a try.  
I think there is a similar product at TJ's 
called "Cookie Spread"...

So, these are some of my favorite food treasures...  

I hope you test out a few of them yourselves...  

Share with me your finds, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment