Monday, July 1, 2013

Fab Rehab...




Still on the quest to make something out of nothing, 
today's project was an outdoor chandelier...  

This black metal chandelier with crystals 
hung in our shower... 


Yep, call me crazy, 
but I saw the idea in some decorating magazine
many years ago...  

Imagine soaking in your bubble bath 
while the warm light of candles flicker 
through the sparkling crystal prisms...  

Can you picture the scene?  

Yeah, neither can I... 

The chandelier hung in our shower, 
candle-less, for years, 
collecting dust... 


Half the time, I would bump into it, 
snagging my hair in the metalwork...

It was a dumb idea, all around...

Then my buddy, Pinterest
showed me how to make this outdoor chandelier 
truly functional...  

Instead of candles, insert solar yard spikes...
 
You know, the ones that line walkways...  

Take off the stick portion 
and hot glue the light into the cup 
where the candle goes...  

I found these yard spikes
 at the dollar store...  

The chandelier was dusty and slightly rusted 
 from the humid shower steam, 
so my wonderful mother spray painted it black again 
and she cleaned all of the glass drops...  


T$ hung it over the apartment back porch 
where we will place a table and chairs... 

 If you ignore the gymnastics rings,
hanging nearby,
that my monkeys regularly risk their lives on, 
I think the chandelier looks rather nice... 


 
Total cost: about $12.00 for the paint, 
a few extra crystals 
and the four solar lights... 
 

Not bad...  



Oh, and check out this find...  

This was my reward 
for last week's work cleaning out 
my parent's sodden basement; 
a three way vintage mirror!  

Framed in solid brass, 
this piece is a true gem...  


It is heavier than two hippos
and was dirtier than my son's hands at any given moment,
 but after it was cleaned up and assembled, 
it looks beautiful...  

The only problem is that all three panels together 
made for a crowded bedroom, 
so we took off one of them 
and hid it behind the other two mirrors...
  

As an "L" shape, it bookends the yellow chair nicely... 

I love the effect... 

 

Trash to treasure, so satisfying...

No comments:

Post a Comment