Monday, July 22, 2013

I Was Just Thinkin'....


Tonight is the first time in a good, long while 
that I have had the chance to linger
by myself, outside, enjoying a light dinner...  

The boys are out of town, 
whooping it up at camp 
or negotiating deals, 
leaving us girls to fend for ourselves... 

Not that we are complaining...  

It is quiet...  

The house is neater...  

Laundry is not reproducing at a fast and stinky rate...  

I can actually hear myself think with the absence of bickering...  

So, I collected ten observations made recently...

1. It's Okay to Enjoy the Fact 
that Kids are Away...

Sure, I miss Jack plenty, 
but I know he is not really missing me, 
his home or his Call of Duty that much 
when he is wearing his skinny ass out 
boating, riding horses, hiking, 
eating piles of s'mores 
and playing flashlight tag until the moon is out...  

This break from each other is healing in a way...  
It will be wonderful to see his grimy, tanned face 
on Sunday and I will hug him 
until he begs me to stop...

2. It's Okay to Let the Remaining Kid 
Veg in Front of the TV, 
Watching "Despicable Me"...

First of all, the movie is hilarious 
and secondly, she needs a little down time 
after a full day of zoo camp...  
It's exhausting to pet penguins, 
I'll have you know...  

I have some Mom/Kate plans 
for the rest of the week, 
like hitting the beach post camp, 
dinner out 
and perhaps a painting session 
at sunset with brand new watercolors...  

I'll redeem my parent points then...

3.  It's Okay to Doubt your Spouse 
and Then to Be Pleasantly Surprised...

The Pearl Jam concert ran until two am 
this past Friday night 
and Tom was supposed to catch the seven am Amtrak 
to meet us at our friends' Michigan cabin the next morning...  

Honestly, I gave him about a twenty percent chance 
of showing up if the concert ended at eleven, 
much less in the wee hours of the morning... 

True to his word, T$ was hanging out with the local color, 
outside of Union Station, 
before it opened at five am 
and he made that train...  

He gets bonus husband points for making a big effort...

4.  It's Okay to Call Your New Lenses "Progressives" 
Even Though We all Know 
they are Called Tri-Focals!


Getting older is hell...  
I hate that my eyes don't work well anymore...  
I am annoyed that I have to 
tip my chin skyward to see the computer screen clearly...  
Well, I guess my neck looks better at that angle, 
so maybe it's not all bad...

5.  It's Okay to Jump Out of Your Spiritual Box 
and to Believe in Something New...

I am not Catholic...  
We Lutherans like to call ourselves, 
"Catholic Lite", 
as we do the communion thing, 
and we pray in similar ways, 
but Lutherans don't focus on Mary,
 the saints 
or all that Catholic guilt stuff...  

Well, a good, Catholic friend of mine 
has always extolled the virtues of the novena,
 specifically to the Infant of Prague 
and St. Anthony
Patron Saint of Finance and Lost Things, respectively...


  
Apparently, her mother has a statue of the Infant 
in a shrine-like setting...  

She routinely slips dollars under the statue
 and dresses the Infant in seasonal costumes, 
not unlike the similarly festooned concrete ducks 
you see gracing the front porches 
across our great nation...  

She added that the Infant and St. Anthony are buddies, 
so to speak, and to pray to both of them 
for the nine days of the novena 
can produce miraculous results, 
whether you are trying to improve your fiscal situation 
or to find those damn keys you lost last week...

So I figured I had nothing to lose... 
 I don't think God really cares if I am Catholic, 
Lutheran or a Jehovah's Witness, for that matter... 

 If I pray with an open heart, 
things might fall into place...  

So T$ and I did just that, 
for nine days, and by gum, 
on the tenth day good things happened...  
Believe and you just never know...

I've Noticed a Few Things Recently...


6.  I've Noticed That: 
Gnats, Fruit Flies, or whatever those nasty little bugs are called, 
like to sit, poolside, on my ramekin of wine, 
AKA; "Insect Trap of Death" to taunt me...  
They are supposed to take a sip of my cheap rose', 
fall in and die...  

A whole platoon of bugs 
rode along a recent banana purchase 
and they are driving me crazy...

7.  I've Noticed That: 
Farm stands may be a great venue 
to broaden kids' culinary horizons...  

Kate tasted her first apricot 
in the fresh country air the other day 
and now she is begging me to buy more...  
Maybe I will drag her to more farmer's market outings...

8.  I've Noticed That: 
Your good days are up to you...  

 

Negative, extraneous crap will fly at you
 from all directions, in valiant attempts to ruin your day, 
but you must fight it off 
like a successful game of "Space Invaders", 
shooting those Debbie Downers out of the sky!  
You don't need to be an irritating Pollyanna,
 but jeez, fight for your own happy...

9.  I've Noticed That:  
Good friends and a bottle of delicious, cheap wine 
are a perfect combination...  

I have been leaning heavily on my friends 
for my sanity lately 
and am grateful for their support...  

But again, all Dr. Depresso 
does not a good friend make from my end, either...  
It's good to just forget reality 
and to laugh while sipping Pinot Grigio, too...

10.  I've Noticed That: Summer is half over 
and I want to savor every last humid drop...  
 
 I want to remember this quiet evening on the back porch; 
the church bell tolling six o'clock, 
the AC units humming in unison, 
the water feature next door gurgling 
and the slight breeze blowing over my shoulder...   

It is peaceful and good and right at this moment, all is well...  


As my mother once said,

 "It's been a good day; nobody's throwed up yet!"

No comments:

Post a Comment