Friday, July 26, 2013

En Plein Air...




Kate's vacation from Jack is nearing its end...  

She deserves a little extra special treatment, 
although the lack of screaming and fighting 
are gifts we both have appreciated 
the past two weeks...  

Today I decided some beach time 
on a beautiful day 
was in order...  


So I packed the beach bag with snacks, towels, 
sunscreen and a new set of watercolor paints and paper...  

Painting in the fresh air is so much fun, 
as long as the wind doesn't 
carry your artwork away...  

As I drove toward zoo camp, 
my mind nagged me 
that I forgot to bring something... 

Oh crap, what was that one item
my forty-something brain missed??

It dawned on me when I saw Kate, 
waiting for me patiently, 
among her camper friends... 


Her swimsuit...  

I was wearing mine, 
but I plumb forgot hers...  

Crucial mistake, Mom... 


While Kate tried to be cool 
about not having her suit for the beach, 
clearly her disappointment showed through...  

Sigh...  

As hard as we try to make a good experience, 
sometimes we still screw up...  

Kate and I did make the best of things 
and managed to have some fun anyway...  

We walked past some beautiful flowers, 


crossed the big bridge over Lake Shore Drive 


and played in the sand...
  

We broke out the brand new paints 
and Kate tested the vivid colors,
 producing some bright, pretty paintings... 

 

Try not to stare at the red fanny in the photo above...
You are staring at it, aren't you?
 

I looked, I saw and I painted....



Watercolor painting is something 
I'd love to learn more about...  
 
Painting water is calming...


I have been instructed to have a beach "do over", 
with the proper swimming gear...  

Thankfully, most of August will be spent on the sand, 
so I will be redeemed...  

It's Friday and you deserve a cocktail...  




No comments:

Post a Comment