Sunday, April 7, 2013

Piles of Projects...



As my weary husband will attest, 
nothing makes my weekend more 
than getting things accomplished...  
 
Okay, a weekend in Hawaii would trump that, 
but you know what I mean...  

The lists are endless 
and sometimes it feels like so little 
is under my control these days...  

So it does my heart (and sanity) good 
to get a few things done around the house...  

First on the list was cleaning and raking the yard...

 One of the joys of spring 
is uncovering the green shoots 
of tulips, dafodils, allium, hostas 
and grape hyacinths.... 

 The promise of fragrant blooms 
and warmer days makes me so happy, 
as I rake away the last year's leaves
 and dried up mulch...
  


Next on the list was to plant sprouted spring flowers 
in the front pots... 

Home Depot sells all the basic spring blooms 
for cheap, so I picked up some pansies, 
tulips, hyacinths, mini daffodils 
and crocus to gussy up the planters....  

Second job on the list; check...  

The third project on the list was sidelined 
by things the kids needed to accomplish, 
but I was happy to help Jack with his homework assignment 
about the battle of Concord 
during the Revolutionary War...

Nothing warms a mom's heart more 
than witnessing her child actually learning 
something while having fun...

The model of the battle was all him;  
I just supplied a few rocks 
and adorned his shack with pretzel "timbers"...

Kate needed to finish her thank you notes 
after her birthday celebrations...
  

It's funny how thank you etiquette changes 
over the generations...  

My parents' generation has strict rules 
about sending thank you's, with time limits, etc...  

Proper thanks needs to be handed out, 
gratitude shown, and when it is not, 
well, things are uncomfortable...  

At times, it becomes burdensome 
and I feel nervous if I don't 
send out the thanks in a timely fashion...  

My generation is more casual about the thank you, 
and while I do believe that one 
should thank the giver for the generosity, 
whatever the gesture, 
sometimes an email is sufficient...

I have friends who slack altogether with thank you's 
and while it doesn't bother me, 
I know it ruffles some feathers...  

My kids are just learning about being formally gracious 
and while they will find their own way 
to thank others, I am pushing Miss Manner's line 
and make them write thank you notes...  

Sitting next to a seven year old while she carefully scrawls 
fifteen notes can be tedious, 
but as long as she is willing 
I will stand by for spell checks and motivation...  

Last on this weekend's to do list 
was the transformation of our chandelier...

A garage sale find many years ago, 
this lovely lamp cried out for re-plating of its silver...  

However, the budget could not accommodate
 the three hundred bucks or so 
it would have cost to refurbish...  

I love the shape of this chandelier, though, 
and decided to spray paint it a glossy chocolate
 and to adorn the bulbs with natural mini shades...

I LOVE how it turned out, 
but it needed a bit more dressing up, 
so I made a cord cover for it 
and also for my beaded chandelier in the dining room...  

Such a quick, easy project 
and it can be no sew, too...

Here is a great Pinterest tutorial, 
if you would like to try it, too...

I used a soft linen fabric, 
 and purchased one yard for $5.99/yd 
which was enough for two lamps...  

Kate also asked me to make her a stuffed mustache...  
(don't ask!)   

Tonight, I feel the satisfaction of spending time with the kids, 
doing worthwhile projects 
and of getting a few things done for myself, too...  

Monday might kick me in the fanny tomorrow, 
but this moment feels good...

I hope you are in a happy place, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment