Monday, April 22, 2013

Cooper...


 
Growing up, we always had cats, dogs, 
fish, birds, hamsters, turtles 
and/or bunnies at our house...  
God forbid we should beg my mother 
to swing by the local shelter to "look" at the animals there
because we just might come home with one... 

She was a soft touch, 
much to my father's chagrin,
 and Mom would fall in love with those sweet, imploring eyes
 behind the cages as much as we did...  
Back then, we had a big yard and
 a big enough house to keep such a menagerie...  


Dad built a hutch, out of an old chicken coop 
that came with the property, for my bunnies...  

The parakeet's cage perched in the dining room
 and my brother's rodents and turtle 
were sequestered in his bedroom...  

In the Seventies, small town dogs were a little freer, 
well, at least our schnoodle, Charlie, was his own dog...  

I don't think he walked on a leash once...  

We let him out the back door 
and he roamed the block until he had had enough 
of sniffing around, doing his business 
and checking out a trash can or two...
  
I am pretty sure the neighbors were not too keen 
on his free range privileges,
 but back then, people didn't make a big fuss 
like they would now... 
Charlie was a low key dog...  

If he were human, he'd be a stoner for sure...  

He would rest his furry head on the window sill 
and if he spied a squirrel,
 Chuck might let out a "Woomphf!"
 and that was about it...  

Piewacket was our first cat I really remember...
  

Named after Kim Novac's cat in the 1960's movie, "Bell Book and Candle",
 Piewacket was a massive, glossy, jet black,
 short haired feline of evilness... 


 Cats weren't declawed in those days 
and he would take out your epidermis 
with one well timed swipe...  


If Pie trained his glowing, yellow eyes on you,
tail a twitchin',
you had better run...  

He was that cranky.. 

Come to think of it, 
Pie's mercurial demeanor was trumped only 
by my grandmother's six-toed, sleek ebony cat, 
aptly named "Lucifer"...

Lucy once won the "Amateur" division
 of the Rock Island County Cat Show...

He was a glossy, beautiful specimen of cat...
But trust me, he was no "Mr. Congeniality"... 

Playing with Lucifer was like letting yourself 
into the panther exhibit at the zoo...

 As a little kid, though, Piewacket was warm and soft 
and he could be so cuddly...  

It was a love/hate relationship with Pie..  

I watched Kate lovingly pet the neighborhood cat, Cooper, 
yesterday and it all came full circle... 


Cooper let himself into a neighbor's house yesterday 
as my friend was welcoming guests
 into her home for brunch...  

Cooper probably smelled bacon 
and thought he was invited...  

Anyway, she shooed him out 
and Kate took notice of this long haired, glorious black cat...  

After calling the number on his tag, 
we learned that Cooper is allowed to roam the streets 
and he wears a GPS collar...  

All well and good, but I worry about him becoming road kill 
in a big city like Chicago... 

 Kate stroked his bountiful fur 
and he rolled over for a belly scratch...  

Clearly Cooper is used to plenty of TLC 
as he was quite lovable...  

Oh, how I wish I could add a pet to the family...

Jack is highly allergic to dogs and cats, 
so it is not an option for us...  

I would love to have small birds like finches or parakeets, 
but when I mentioned it, Tom looked at me 
like I wanted to adopt a Burmese python...  

I say no to rodents of any shape or form...  

There were so many nights when my brother's hamster 
ran endlessly on a rusty, squeaky wheel...
 I mentally devised ways to kill it...  


Then there was the time "Hammie" scuttled 
into the heating ducts of the house...

There is no faster way to enrage your father
 than the sounds of a rodent scurrying 
inside the metal ductwork at two am...

Dad may as well have been able to lift an Oldsmobile 
with the force he used to tear the duct 
from the basement ceiling...

It was not good for Hammie...

Reptiles are a definite NON STARTER for me.....

Shudder!!! 

So, we have three tiny fish in a minute aquarium...

BORING!  

There are family members, who have expressed a million, 
perfectly logical reasons why not having pets is the best plan,
 but I still cling to the belief that a child benefits so greatly 
from a good, loyal furry pet... 

 I wish I could give my kids that joy, 
but it may not be in the cards for us...  


Kate will have to enjoy the occasional Cooper sighting 
to get her kitty fix...

1 comment:

  1. Kate can come to our house anytime she needs a nose full of fur. One of our cats would happily spend the day in a baby bjorn.

    ReplyDelete