Friday, April 12, 2013

Mama is Always Right....


See this little instrument of vague culinary purpose?  

I have had this thing for, oh, fifteen years or so...  

It has languished in the back of a utensil drawer, 
unused, not missed, 
while collecting schmutz and dust...  

It was one of those things, 
that Mama said I would need someday 
and I did not really believe her...  

She gave it to me, so many years past, 
when my interest in cooking was just sprouting, 
back when I thought store bought French dressing 
was essential for a gourmet chicken dish...  

What in the hell was I going to do 
with a teensy, fluted cutting wheel thingy?!  


It conjured up images of egg washes and puff pastry, 
that which I would no sooner bake with 
than I would decide to wrestle an alligator...  

I have a loads of those kinds of gadgets in my house, 
like a tray devoted only to deviled eggs, 
silver dishes for salt and pepper, 
real shells meant just for Coquille St. Jaques...  

My mom is the consumate garage sale shopper...  

On summer Fridays she scours the North Shore 
and finds treasures discarded by those living
 in elite zip codes...  

She has discovered some amazing finds; 
silver tea sets, gorgeous trays, 
American Girl doll accessories, virtually untouched...  

It is the thrill of the hunt for her, 
but we have a push and pull relationship 
regarding her weekly treasure quests...  

My issue is my small, compartmentalized, limited house... 
  

Another issue is my desire for simplicity and organization...  

I mean, who really needs 15 ramekins 
for a sometime creme' brulee?  

When I visit Mama, she first must show me this week's finds...
STAT! 

I wince, because I know that my house 
is bursting with gravy boats, cake servers and compotes, 
but secretly, I can't wait to see 
what is waiting on the dining room table at her house...  

So, it resembles a win win...  

I win if she has found me something unusual and wonderful 
and I also win on days when there is nothing to take home...  


My groaning cabinets thank me on those days...  

So today, as I get ready for eight kids 
to come over to play, 
(don't ask.)
I found a need for that diminutive, fluted tool...  

I am making homemade Cheez Its, 
(go ahead and roll your eyes, I deserve it)  
and the recipe called for that utensil...  

I was prepared to just cut the dough with a knife, 
when my GPS-enabled uterus (remember Rosanne Barr?) 
beeped that I actually have the tool the recipe called for!  

And, by gum, in the back of that dusty drawer, 
there it was...  

What have I learned?  

That Mama is always right...  

"You are going to need these things, 
you will appreciate having them sometime 
and you should use them with regularity..." 

It's true...  

Use that china!  

Make that silver gravy boat a constant member 
of the dining table!  

Accept the rarely used ice cream maker, 
because, Sister, it is going to come in handy 
on that hot day when you spy 
the most delicious strawberry ice cream recipe on Pinterest 
and you are going to HAVE to make it... 


I am not saying yes to hoarding...  

Oh God, no...  

If one thing comes into my house, 
I try to send one thing out...  

But, listen to your Mama...  

When she told you that boys 
just wanted to get into your shirt...  

When she said to always wear clean underwear, 
and when she said wear white whenever the hell you want to,  


she might have been on to something...  



And if you are crazy like me and would like to make Cheez Its, 
here is the recipe, thanks to ShopGirl...

 
HOMEMADE CHEEZ-ITS
(Recipe from BHG)
*Makes about 100 crackers*
YOU WILL NEED:
8oz shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp aged white cheddar)
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 tbs unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp salt
3 - 4 tbs ice water
 
 
 
DIRECTIONS:

1. First, mix together the shredded cheese,  half of the salt and the softened butter. (I used sharp aged white cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever kind of cheese you like. I shredded my own cheese just because I think it has better flavor and melts better, but you can use pre-shredded too to save some time!) Add in the flour and mix until the dough looks like little fluffy clumps. Then, with the mixer running begin adding the ice water and mix until a soft dough forms. (use as much ice water as you need for a dough to form).
2. Divide the dough in two, form each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. Then, roll the dough out on a floured surface into about an 1/8 inch thickness and using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the dough into about 1 inch squares.

3. Preheat your oven to 375 deg F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer your little cheez-its onto the parchment paper, make a hole in the center of each with a toothpick, then sprinkle them with the rest of the salt. Bake for about 7 - 10 minutes (baking time will depend on your oven, just watch them carefully so they don't burn!), or until they have puffed up and the edges begin to brown. Let cool before eating. (They are best eaten right away, but you can store them in an airtight container).

No comments:

Post a Comment