Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vegas, Baby...




I wasn't ready for a trip to V Town...

The date was firmly on the calendar 
months in advance, in Sharpie...

My sister in law's birthday party, 
October 13...

 Heck, I was in charge of the festivities and everything, 
but life was so busy at home, and frankly, 
I was still recovering from the Chicago Teacher's Strike...


It just seemed like the stars of chaos were aligned last week, 
with roofers that dumped supplies in the front yard 
and then didn't show up to work,  (still haven't!)
the requisite load of kid activities 
and then a last minute Milwaukee run 
for Kate's Kohl's shoot 
(check her out on December 16th
to make a weekend trip seem very far away...

Preparing to go out of town, sans kids, 
is akin to managing a war campaign in WWII Europe...

Five star generals might learn a thing or two
 about logistics and planning after spending a week 
with a mom organizing an out of town getaway...

About the time the kind flight attendant 
handed me my second tiny bottle of Pinot Grigio, 
I breathed, smiled and allowed myself 
to enjoy the flight to Sin City...

It's been a few years since I have been to Las Vegas...

For over ten years I went there twice yearly 
for business functions, so I knew the town well...

But Vegas transforms itself weekly 
and there were many changes to see...

The Cosmopolitan hotel is a fun joint...


I loved the sparkly Chandelier Bar..

The main reason we were in town 
was to celebrate my sister in law's birthday...

Twenty two family and friends made the trek 
to honor her milestone birthday 
and it was my job to make it memorable...

It was a stress inducing project because 
I wanted everyone to have a great time...

Planning a big party long distance is always a messed up game 
of telephone, but I have to say The Four Seasons hotel really stepped up 
once all parties understood what the goals were...

As friends can attest, I am not a bowl of chips 
and a six pack of beer kind of party thrower...

Not that going over the top makes for a great bash, either, 
but it's the details that pull the whole shebang together...

So family banded together and created necklaces 
with vintage photos of the birthday girl 
dangling from them...

There were trivia cards on the cocktail tables 
about events in the world the year she was born...

Place cards were home made 
with consultation from The Paper Source...  

I love them!

Each place setting was adorned 
with an organza bag of chocolate poker chips 
and real poker chips for gambling later...

The service was impeccable, 
the food was truly delicious 
and the grande finale was the cake...

The birthday girl has a weakness for handbags, 
especially Louis Vuitton...

Such a lovely weakness, really...

Anyway, I wanted her cake to be a showstopper, 
so I searched the web for the best bakers in V Town 
to create my vision.

I wanted a square cake that would resemble 
a birthday present and I wanted the "wrapping" 
to look like the Louis Vuitton print we all know and covet...

Finding a bakery to do that 
was not a problem...



The issue was that the hotel would not allow 
food from outside its premises...

They promised me that they could create 
what I wanted in house...

I nervously agreed and hoped for the best...

The pastry chef surpassed my expectations with this sparkly, 
gorgeous confection that would have made 
Monsieur Louis proud...

The photo doesn't do the cake justice...

It was covered in edible glitter and it sparkled like crazy...

And it tasted dee-licious!

My sister in law loved her cake 
and that was all that mattered...

Here is what made the trip:

Seeing Family:  We hung out with relatives we have not seen in a long time and it was great.


Our hotel suite:  T$ scored a free upgrade for the biggest, most outrageous hotel suite on the 35th floor, facing all of Vegas on two sides....  I know why I married him....


Dressing up:  Gotta love putting on a hot little dress and hoochie mama shoes for a night.  Even though the platforms were cruel and painful, it beat wearing yoga pants...
I now have a wound the size of a silver dollar on my right heel.  Sacrifices, Ladies...


People watching:  You see it all, from wife beaters to tuxes, all in the same place...


Gambling:  Nothing like bonding with your husband over a long game of video poker.  And we won five dollars, too!


Feeling the love:  It was gratifying to watch the birthday girl enjoy the weekend with her besties.  They love her and she basked in the glow...

The trip was short and sweet.

Getting home took way too long, 
but the welcome sign and shrieks from the kids 
made it all worthwhile...

Tom made this video this morning...

No, he was not intoxicated, 
but it says it all about Vegas, really... 
In a goofy, "Hangover-esque" kind of way...

Okay, maybe not, with us looking all preppy...

Yeah, we are weird, but we had fun!

No chickens were harmed 
in the production of this piece...

Pinky swear...

No comments:

Post a Comment