Saturday, February 19, 2011

You Have it Good!



I remember dissatisfaction with my thighs in the 9th grade...  

No dimples yet, but my knees were too thick in my estimation...  

Funny how 125 lbs on a nearly six foot tall frame can be viewed as fat, but there it is.  

There is a saying (perhaps from one of those annoying supposed-to-be-uplifting) 

emails that gets passed around, 

that no matter the age, when we bemoan our looks, we will pine for them once we advance in age.  

True...I thought I looked unfit in my 30's, 

and now I'd hand over my left hand pinkie for that pre-childbirth body!  

I suppose in my sixties I will wish for the body I currently disapprove of...  

Oh well, tomorrow is another opportunity to live healthfully....

Wasn't that an ad for Perrier or something?? 

Pass the raspberry sorbet, kids....  

When you are a kid, it's easy to expect things to be handed to you, 

especially if your parents give you all your heart's desire. 

Appreciation of how good I had it smacked me in the face now and then....
like a fall afternoon in the quad at U of I, knowing that life was good!

Youth is wasted on the young, right?

Our generation had to work less than our parents did, 

but we still had paper routes,  high school jobs at Happy Joe's Pizza and the local pool. 

We had it good, for sure, but we did learn the value of a dollar, too,

especially when we had to pay for our own gas, clothes or even tuition.  

With our current financial condition, our kids hear "no" more than I would like, for things they want, 

but they aren't seated at a street corner with a tattered paper cup either... 

They hopefully realize that money doesn't grow on trees (rats!  Wish it did....) 

and that is fine with me... 

They are blessed with grandparents who provide them with wonderful experiences that matter.  

Kate did not get the Barbie condo for Christmas....

she got a handcrafted dollhouse from her architect grandfather.  

Last night Tom's dad took Jack, Tom and me to a Blackhawk's game.  

It was a first for me...exciting! 

Jack was wide eyed as we walked into the Madhouse on Madison.  

The dull roar of the entering crowd was pierced by the deafening sound of the trainhorn.  

 He jumped and smiled with anticipation...

Then his Gramp asked Jack if he wanted to check out the souvenir stand, 

something Tom and I NEVER say.  

His smile was wide as they walked over and disappeared into the gift shop...  

Moments later Jack emerged wearing his very own Patrick Kane Blackhawks Jersey!  


This is one lucky kid...  

I just hope when he has grown he remembers how his Grandpa came to his baseball games and 

how his Lynnie taught him to play Gin.  

I hope Kate remembers how Grandma tucked her into her lap and read her stories and 

how Gramp used to call her "Noogie Bomber".  

We have it so good.....

cellulite-free thighs or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment