Thursday, February 24, 2011

Welcome Home...




He was in Abu Dhabi only 5 days, 

but it felt like ten...  

Something about hauling kids everywhere in the damp, icy cold make time drag... 

Every tug on the boots, pull of the zipper felt monotonous....

Until I saw his chipper text, "Honey, I've landed!"...

Sweet music to my ears because now I know 

that double teaming has reverted to the good old-man-to-man defense... 

Someone to share a glass of wine with....

to whine to... 

to share my dreams with....

you know, the kind you have when you sleep...

Last night I dreamed I attended a craft seminar given by Martha Stewart.  

She and I hit it off and she even hugged me!

Okay, it's probably weird, but I'd love to meet Martha....

I'd probably faint, have a stroke or say something in a foreign language I don't know

If I met her...

She is so imposing she makes big celebrities tremble with fear....

I have seen their hands quiver on TV...

Even Emeril Lagasse looked like he might throw up the first time he was on her show....

Anyway..... 

Usually I dream that I can't find my shirt and I have to ride a bike 50 miles in the rain to get to work, 

and I am being chased by the IRS who are wearing togas....

so this Martha dream was an improvement....

Okay, back to my better half...

I also miss Tom's hugs and snuggling under the covers...

I really do...  

But it's nice to have the trash taken out, 

the fire built, 

the mattress flipped 

and the extra enforcement to get kids in the shower....

I like not having to set the house alarm and to keep the lights on to make it look like night owls live here...  

I don't even mind the addition of his sock and utes in the laundry...

I am glad Tom is home.  

So, I threw together a welcome home dinner with what was in the pantry 

and with some leftovers.  

Dinner is warm and comforting tonight, just like he is to me....

when I am not crabby...

BBQ Chicken Drumsticks

Serves 4
  • 8 chicken drumsticks (about 3 pounds)
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 bottle tomato-based chili sauce (12 ounces)
  • 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange drumsticks in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Rub all over with chili powder; season generously with salt and pepper. Bake until tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, make barbecue sauce: In a small saucepan, whisk together chili sauce, vinegar, sugar, espresso powder (if using), and mustard. Bring to a boil; reduce to medium-low, and simmer 2 minutes. Divide sauce between two bowls: one for brushing and basting, and one for dipping.
  3. Remove drumsticks from oven, and brush with sauce. Return to oven; bake, turning and basting halfway through, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Brush drumsticks with any leftover pan juices. Serve with reserved dipping sauce.

Corn on the Cob - I like to melt the butter and just drizzle it on top....Easier than the other method....


 Hash Browns - I sliced 1/2 a white onion, thinly, and added it to a hot skillet with a little butter and oil.  To    that I added hand smashed roasted potato rounds from last night's supper.  Season with salt and pepper and fry until golden brown.

Winter Tomato Salad - Slice grape tomatoes in half, lengthwise and place in shallow dish.  Add fresh basil if you have it.  I added a teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1/8 C olive oil and 1 T balsamic vinegar.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Sprinkle with 2 T feta cheese.


Bread Pudding, (made with leftover Challah bread)

  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 5 large beaten eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 3 cups cubed Italian bread, allow to stale overnight in a bowl
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

For the sauce:

  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup brandy

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan.
Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes.
In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.
Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven.

For the sauce:

Mix together the granulated sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir together until the sugar is melted. Add the brandy, stirring well. Pour over bread pudding. Serve warm or cold.

I just tasted this.....OMG it's sinful!!!!

 Since Tom is working late (no surprise there...) 

A plate will be warm in the oven.  

But at least it's not KFC in a cold, cardboard tub...

Although, a local KFC would do the trick now and then.  

If only Pei Wei were closer...

I am addicted to the lettuce wraps... 

Tonight it's home cookin'...  

I gotta take care of my man, don't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment