Saturday, February 26, 2011

Seedlings...


The official first day of spring is 22 days away and it feels like 22 years away, doesn't it? 

Just look out the window...It snowed all day here...

A fine, drizzly kind of snow that chills you to your bones...  

Not that it's warm in our house...  

Nooo.....
It's still cold enough to hang meat, thanks to our faulty furnace...  

Oh, HONEY???!!  

He promised me that the repairman is coming this week 

and that he will stay home to make sure it's fixed.  

I'm thinking a certain place will freeze over first, but one can hope...  

This morning as I was whistling while I worked....(not..)

vacuuming, 

cleaning bathrooms, 

dusting, 

Kate set up Chez American Girl in the living room...  

Check out that groovy bed...

Fit for any respectable 70's love shack, wouldn't you say?  

I don't know the name of the 1970's American Girl, 

but I wonder if her story books cover the subjects of hash and STD's.  

Just kidding....

I am sure they discuss the riots of 1968 and how pet rocks were all the rage..

Um....yeah.... 

Kate loves the bed and her dolly sleeps like a princess... 

Anyway...

while I toiled and she played, 

the radio show had a guest who discussed summer gardens...

"Soon it will be time to plant your seedlings!" she chirped...

It got me thinking....  

My back and front yards look like a war zone after all the foundation work we have endured.  

We have to start from scratch to restore any semblance of yard/garden.  

It's not a little task, but not massive either, given our postage sized lots.  

Buying annuals at the Home Depot can add up quickly, 

especially if I have to buy a lot of them.  


Starting from seeds not only saves a ton of cash, 


but I can get unusual plants not found in the local nurseries.  

Now I would not say I have a black thumb, 

but I don't have much in the way of foliage in my house... 

As you can see, most of it is kill resistant or silk!  

I just forget to water and then she's dead as a doornail... 

Outside, though, we have had some nice summer gardens, 

as it was relaxing to water the plants after work while sipping a beer.  

At least that's what Tom says...  

His bountiful gardens proved it.  

So, this week, I am going to order some seeds, 

set up the table in the south facing window and have a go... 

I'll keep you posted.....

No comments:

Post a Comment