Monday, February 14, 2011

First Class, All the Way...


Valentine's Day is so loaded with meaning at all stages of life... 

As a little kid, you relish decorating the shoebox in hopes of getting loads of little paper Valentines,

illegibly scribbled by your classmates...  
It's about quantity, not quality...
As you grow older, you hope that a limp, red carnation, bought for a dollar in the junior class fundraiser, 

is sent to you by your crush...  

I never got that carnation from the boy I liked, 

instead I would get one from a kid half my height who looked like Gonzo from the Muppet Show.  

In your twenties, you roller coaster from hating the holiday when you had no special someone, 
to hoping he gets it right if you had a boyfriend...
Nope....he usually didn't...on to the next one...
I pretty much could toss most of my twenty-something years into the circular file 
as it was a disaster most of the time...  

Now that I am married with two little kids, Valentine's Day takes on a whole new meaning...  
 
Long romantic dinners on the 14th are now delayed until a TBD date 
when the Groupon will take effect and a sitter can be found... 

Now the desire is to make the holiday fun for the kids... 

This year, Kate is old enough to fully participate so I went a little nuts as the Valentine's Elf... 

First event was my lovely neighbor's Valentine making party for the ladies...  

I baked Valentine sugar cookies that were, um, PG.  

Many glasses of champagne later, some gorgeous Valentines were created  by all....

and those lingerie cookies consumed.  

Nothing wrong with that, right?

Feeling guilty that I have not had the time to volunteer more at the school, I have been baking goodies for the teaching staff now and then...  

For Valentines day, I baked chocolate cupcakes with brownie heart garnishes.  

Yeah, I'm a suck up, but sweets make people happy, right?  

For the kid's personal teachers, I topped the cupcakes and 

went to the pains of making the candy roses I shared in last months blog.  

Let me tell you, they ain't as easy as they look... 

My version of the candy roses look like a lobotomy on top of those cupcakes...
The instructions said to paint off the cornstarch with vodka.  Is it wrong to sip and brush?

Cookies were also baked for the crew at Heat Armor...

Just hearts....all G-rated...
They were gone by 9:30, I think....
For my mother and sister in law, I went to the flower mart and purchased posies to 
make arrangements, which I delivered to my sister in law's law office this morning... 

Too bad, I didn't know she was out of town.  

It's the thought, right?  

For the kids, we took them to that classy joint, White Castle, for their annual Valentine's dinner event...  

They had flowers, table cloths, candles and waiters...  

The place was packed!  

It was so cute and the kids loved it.  

$25.00 for a Valentine's dinner for four is awesome, too. 

"Would you like that slider medium rare?"  

When we got home I had a Valentines treat scavenger hunt waiting for the kids as their dessert.  

Dang....I am tired just talking about it....  
I look tired, don't I?  This photo was taken this morning! Sheesh...
Maybe next year I'll order a heart-shaped pizza, get flowers from Jewel and call it a day..... 

White Castle didn't have prosecco, but Chez Herlihy did!

No comments:

Post a Comment