Monday, January 3, 2011

Old Tree, Old Lady



Did you know the Christmas Tree Javelin will be an Olympic Event in 2014?  

Yep, little known fact... 

Tommy has been training for years and I think he has a shot.  

His toss this year looked a little low on the arc,

but the judges would give it an 8.7 for sure.....

September 11, December 7th, 12/20-1-10, 

Thanksgiving, Easter and Yom Kippur.  

Can you guess what all these days have in common?  

They are dreadful days in which to be born.  

Nobody wants to have a party on these days.  

How do I know this?  

Because my birthday is January 2nd.  

On January Second, those who know and love me, gasp and remember that 
Oh Crap, it's Lori's birthday.  

On January 2nd, the world is hungover, broke and NOT in a party mood...

Every year, my mom tells the story 

how I was the second kid born in Evanston Hospital in 1965 

and the first baby won all of the gifts.  

Great....

Most of my life, I have been apologetic about this unfortunate birthdate.  

I feel badly that my family has to come up with yet another gift after Christmas, 
that they have to act jovial and festive, that they have to find a cake and make merry.  

I know the score, because, frankly, I feel the same way.  

After six weeks of eating with abandon, staying up late and drinking too much, 

I'm not up for one more party, either.  

Growing up, my mom did her best to make this day special, but it had to be a drag.  

God bless her... 

So, yesterday was my fortysmfpphhth birthday and my family was lovely.  

They let me spend the day with my mom...

a rare treat and then they took me out for dinner.  

I got a new phone and the snazziest little Kate Spade clutch you ever saw.... 

Really, after 21, birthdays should be avoided, anyway....  

Perhaps a good plan is to nod at the 1/2 date with no fanfare, 

and then permanently move the celebration to June 2nd.  

Summer birthdays are way more fun, anyway...pool parties and summer drinks, etc.   

Yep, I think I'll toss out the January 2 day, 

along with the crispy Christmas tree.  

Good thing Tommy didn't toss me out for old age, too.  

I'd hate to count my rings.....

No comments:

Post a Comment