Thursday, January 13, 2011

Crafting Among the Chaos...



I don't know about you...

but when I am frustrated, angry or just plain cranky,

the house becomes cleaner, crafting happens and the kids get cupcakes. 

I have this insane, urgent need to control even one little tiny bit of my world when life deals me lemons.

  If the dryer is tumbling, the dishwasher is humming and the oven is firing up,

I feel a little better. 

Usually, my kids avoid me like the plague at these moments,

because when mommy's not happy, nobody's happy......

Am I right? 

Let's just say the last few weeks have been fun..... 

Fun as in, cabin fever,

frequent spats,

husband working LITERALLY 24/7,

salt on my cute new boots,

the rigorous ritual of dressing kids for cold weather,

over and over and over again,

runny noses,

sinus infections

and late tax bills. 

So much FUN! 

After a while it becomes a little much....

Even a few glasses of white don't really kick those winter blues... 

Why we don't live, say, in Fort Myers, FL, is a good question....

But here we are in the frigid Upper Midwest. 


Might as well be Fargo....   Yah....You betcha! 

It does no good to have an old fashioned tantrum...

you know, throw things,

lie on floor,

scream and kick my legs..... 

I'd just have to clean up whatever I threw and broke.... 

The kids would laugh at me and I might feel inclined to scream at them..... 

Not the best idea... 

So, I clean, cook and craft.  

Last night after I learned Tom would be home very late for, oh, the 7th night in a row,

I decided to channel my frustration into making this earwarmer

One of my favorite "Friends" on Facebook is the Tip Junkie

She daily posts many many great ideas. 

She is awesome! 

I wish I had the time to try half the ideas she posts... 

This earwarmer tutorial intrigued me... 

With a JoAnn Fabric gift card from Christmas in hand, I bought the materials.

(fleece is 40% off right now, too!) 

 It took about two hours,

with bedtime rituals thrown in and a good watching of "Top Chef". 

What do you think? 

I did get some compliments at school drop off this morning, so I plan to make some for Kate, too. 

Now, a quick getaway to Aruba with Tom would be better medicine for the winter blues,

but at least I have something to show for my Heat-Armor widow angst! 

Tonight I may bake an igloo cake for the teachers....I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment