Saturday, January 12, 2013

Geeked for Downton...



Much like the people that dress up 
to go see Star Wars movies


 

or those whack job Trekkies 
who become Spock for their
nerd fest Star Trek conventions,

 

We, too, are "Those People"....

I never thought I'd equate myself 
with Civil War reenactors

 

or full-on attendees of renaissance fairs,


but I think we crossed the line this time...  

You see, we are geeks 
for Downton Abbey...

My sister in law clued us in 
to the show last winter...  

Over a breathless week, 
Tom and I devoured Season One and Two, 
staring at his tablet computer, 
snuggled in our flannel sheets.... 

We were hooked!  

Oh, the intrigue, twisty plot 
and soap operish drama!
  

That damn Thomas and O'Brien bullying the others!  

Why are Lady Mary and Matthew Crawley 
such star crossed dunderheads?



Will Bates ever make it out of prison alive?


The sets and costumes are gorgeous 
and the historical details
made me want to learn more...

My obsession obliged a family member to
buy me the book,
"The World of Downton Abbey"...

Anyway, we love the show 
and have waited with anticipation 
for the Season Three premiere for months...  

At last, the show aired last Sunday...  

On Saturday, I decided that we must celebrate 
the show with more than a perfunctory 
glass of champagne...
  

We needed to dress for the event 
and serve a proper meal prior to viewing the show, 
much as Oscar parties are done...  

I love my husband...  

He is not a fuddy duddy...  

He is not the guy who won't dance 
with his wife at weddings...  

He is the man who jumps into an idea 
with both feet...  

He dressed up as Austin Powers 
for our first Halloween together 
and I knew right then, that he was my fellow...  

So, when I suggested T$ pull out his tux 
to celebrate DA night, 
he was all over the idea...  

Then I texted my sister in law 
to see if she was game...  

Here is a synopsis of our text conversation:

"Lady Sarah of Clifton, you are cordially invited to dine 
with the Herlihys of Melrose Manor.  
We will be in dinner clothes for our celebratory meal.  
Long black gloves suggested..."

"My Dearest Lady Herlihy, 
Thank you so much for your kind text message 
and your thoughtful invitation.  
It will be my absolute pleasure and joy to dine 
with you and your gorgeous rugrats.  
I shall plan to arrive by motor around six.  
I look forward to seeing all of you then.  
With fondest regards from Clifton..."

"Your arrival will be eagerly anticipated.  
We do so hope you will enjoy our fete 
of the televised premiere.  
Until then, The Herlihys"

Yes, we are total morons...  

But here is the thing...  

As I said to Jack when he looked at me 
like I was Bozo the Clown...  

We are living...

We need to laugh at ourselves a little 
and to celebrate life...  

If we don't do fun and silly things, 
we are not creating memories...  

My parents entertained a lot, 
they dressed up in funny costumes 
and trust me, I remember it...  

This is the shit we cherish, folks...  

We don't reminisce that thrilling night we did our taxes, 
or the time we spent less than $100.00 at Costco...  

Okay, that was pretty exciting, 
but you get what I mean...  

I saw one of those inspirational quotes,
that usually annoy me,
pinned on Pinterest today, 
and it does say it all...  

Something about how we all are gonna die soon, 
so why the hell not live it up?

I think Steve Jobs said it, or whatever...

So we dressed up in the closest things 
we could find to resemble the cast at DA.  

I have an amazing black velvet dress 
that has gold embroidery at the hem...

It was given to me by Tom's mother, 
who received it from another family member...  

It is vintage and truly beautiful...  

My earrings are my great grandmother's, 
and they are at least 100 years old...

And my long white gloves are vintage, too...
  
Sarah was a vision in periwinkle 
and she found her fascinator at a local store.... 
She looked incredible... 

And, of course, my T$ looked dashing 
 and so handsome in his tuxedo...

I spent the entire day cooking dinner...  

Felt more like Mrs. Patmore 
than a lady upstairs, I tell ya...

 I should have picked up dinner at Boston Market 
and then bought tiny desserts at a bakery...
 

Anyway, here is the menu...
  

The Earl Grey Tea Cakes were delish, but so time intensive, 
I won't bore you by posting the recipe...


So the two hour premiere was great...  

We can't wait for Sunday...

This episode I will be watching in sweats!

No comments:

Post a Comment