Thursday, January 26, 2012

Buckling Down...



Yep, January is generally the month of deprivation and self flagellation, huh? 

Hitting those resolutions hard,
sweating in the cold air,
eating celery while the cheesy potato soup taunts you from Panera's menu board....

Hopefully you are sticking to your resolutions,
whatever they may be.... 

Hang in there! 

I decided to do The Clean Program again... 

November and December were food free-for-alls around here... 

I ate like it was my last day....

Why just have one brownie
when there is the equivalent of four more in broken pieces in the pan? 

I was like the family dog, finishing plates and going for seconds.... 

The madness had to stop... 

So I had my own personal intervention
when the fat jeans started to fit again... 

I have to say, Clean a second time around is harder,
because you know what you are in for... 

Gnawing hunger,
the monotony of shakes day after day,
and a VERY limited choice of approved lunchtime foods... 

Even the support group online didn't make the time pass faster... 

I made it 17 out of the suggested 21 days
and I lost 10 pounds,
so in the end it was worth it... 

The breaking point came this morning
when I made a mango pineapple shake... 

The pineapple was stringy in the shake
and the mouthfeel was too disgusting for words...

That was it... 

I lunged for the Cheerios
and had a luscious bowl of cereal... 

Amazing how the most simple of foods feel
like luxury when deprived of them.... 

I then broke the cleanse in spectacular fashion... 

More about that later... 

The other way I buckled down this January 
was my quest to get my real estate broker's license.... 

The state of Illinois is doing away with all salesperson's licenses
as of April 2012 and everyone must convert to broker by then... 

It's a pain in the neck, requiring a course
if you don't pass the proficiency test.... 

I put it off for over a year, but finally spent much of the last two weeks
studying the driest laws, terminology and scenarios ever... 

I think the study of hairballs might be a close second.... 

Today was the dreaded test.... 

Thank goodness it was easy... 

After I passed and left the office,
I headed straight to Burger King... 

Whopper Jr. and Onion Rings, please! 

There's no easing back into eating for me...

No sir! 

And dang if it wasn't soooo good! 

So, I'm back among those who eat... 

I will be more forthcoming with some tasty recipes, now that I can actually try them... 

My kids will be happy, too. 

Mama did not feel like cooking when her dinner was a mango pineapple shake...

To share my exhuberance at returning to the world of culinary sanity,
here are a few recipes from my friend Gretta, that look marvelous...

Smashed Potato Soup


Confetti Rice Crispy Treats

Roasted Butter Lemon Shrimp

Butterfinger Blondies


And tonight I will be capping off bustin' the cleanse by going out with a friend for some good wine...

Salut!!

No comments:

Post a Comment