Sunday, July 24, 2011

Yard Man Returneth....




 

There is the old saying,  "A man's home is his castle..."  

Well, Tommy's castle is more like a double-wide, 
when you look at the exterior... 


The basement project, 
aka "Endless Disaster" 
transformed our lush surroundings to concrete, 
debris, weeds and mud for nearly three years...  


Although the project is still not totally completed...


don't ask...  


I'd finally had it with the despair 
I felt every time I looked out the window... 


We saved up a little cash 
 and I hit the Home Depot for some shrubs.  


They were half off!  

Then I got a little crazy and asked a local nursery 
to give me an estimate for sod 
and landscaping for the front/back of the house...
  

Trust me, their ideas were lovely, but the estimate came to, 


brace yourself....

$4,000.00 to sod approximately 
300 square feet and throw in a few bushes and a tree...  


That number was about, oh... 

$3500.00 MORE than I had budgeted for the deal... 

Call me naive, but I needed to figure this out a cheaper way... 

Well the answer is obvious....


Do it yourself!  

So, Tom and I took deep breaths, 
psyched ourselves up 
and scheduled the delivery of sod, soil conditioner, 
compost and two bushes... 


We rented a roto-tiller and bought an extra shovel...  

Now we understand why those landscaping guys 
are so strong and wiry...  

Scraping away two inches of weeds that are overgrown, 
 with wet soil is HARD work... 

Plus it rained buckets the night before, 

so the stuff was super heavy... 

We roto-tilled, 
scraped, 
raked, 
bagged, 
hauled, 
leveled, 
planted 
and then placed the grass in neat, herringbone patterns...  

We looked like mile 22 of the Muddy Iron Man competition 
and we felt like $2.00 
when we were finished about 5 hours later...
 

Despite the pain, heat, sweat and suffering, 
it was so worth it... 

We love the results 
and now my Yard Man is back...



Before the "Endless Disaster", 
we had a lovely yard in the front and back...  

Tom lovingly mowed the grass 
(it took about 7 minutes) 
in perfect lines...
  

He meticulously hand picked weeds 
from his and the neighbor's yards...

We sat on the front porch at dusk, 
wine in hand 
and enjoyed our little piece of heaven... 

Now, with our own sweat equity, it is back... 

Tom's castle 
(outdoors, anyway) 
has returned and we will enjoy the rest of the summer 
with a yard that no longer is redneck paradise...  


Now if only we can fix the rotting steps out front.......
And paint the shingles...
And.........

1 comment:

  1. Well reading this has cured me of thinking I can remove the sod under my daughter's playset to replace it with mulch. OUCH!
    -Kimberly (friend of Tom's from HS)

    P.S. Looks Great! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete