Tuesday, July 26, 2011

In an Instant

In a second flat your world can change...  

We all have heard that and believe it, 
but we don't really absorb it until it happens to you... 

This summer, after I pick up Jack from sailing camp, 
we head up beautiful Lake Shore Drive and exit Wilson Avenue, 
west, to pick up Kate at her park district camp.  

Wilson cuts through a dicey neighborhood 
for about five blocks, but it's the quickest route.  

It was a peaceful ride....

Jack had fun sailing on a picture perfect summer day...

I was making back to school lists in my head 
as we sat at an intersection... 

Much to my husband's security-minded dismay, 
I did not notice the throngs of youths hanging out in the area... 

That was, until four gunshots rang out...  

Time slowed to a snail's pace...  

I looked to my left 
and saw about 20 kids running around the corner...

Then I heard shouts from about another 8 kids, 
diagonally across the intersection...

I thought about Jack, about our vulnerability 
and in that instant the light turned green....  

Tom was in my brain, 
shouting for me to hit the gas 
and I did....  

I didn't start shaking 
until I got out of the car and hugged Kate... 

I called Tom and he contacted the officer 
who patrols the area...  

She said there were conflicting reports 
of whether the shooter was in a car or on a bike...  

Good news is that no one was shot... 

Bad things happen anywhere...  

My eight year old baby was in that car with me 
and I am so grateful he is okay... 

I am still a little verklempt 
and at a loss for words...  

What I do know is that I will be driving a longer, 
statistically safer route from now on..... 

Hold your loved ones close....

1 comment: