Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blood, Cupcakes and Tiaras...


So much has been going on the last few days...

It's hard to pinpoint what to talk about, what with the royal wedding,
a personal mishap and that thing that happened on Sunday... 

Let's start with the big wedding, shall we?  

How much fun was it to witness the grand affair?  

Like a nut, I crawled out of bed at 2:45am to CNN's broadcast of the Royal Wedding... 

Piers Morgan's gossip was almost as good as my  hot cup of decaf
and watching the lucky wedding guests enter Westminster was a treat... 

Oh the hats!  

The fascinators!  

The reconstructed noses!  

America just doesn't have occasions to dress so well, except for the Kentucky Derby,
or if you attend Baptist church in some parts...   

There aren't enough events for those wonderful hats and I wish there were... 

Some hats were not the most attractive, say perhaps Princess Beatrice's?  
Medusa comes to mind, notwithstanding the goth eye makeup, as well.  

This was one of my favorite chapeaus....  

Tom is trying to get tickets to see the Derby at Arlington Racetrack...  

Chances are slim to none, but if we go,
I am headed to the South Side to find a proper pink hat!   

To commemorate the wedding, I decided to make some cupcakes for the teachers

with cute little signs I found from my friends at the TomKat Studios.  

I had visions of making similar cupcakes for the kind teachers at school, so I set off to get ingredients and the tools to craft the little signs... 

Rule Number One:  Do not attempt to craft when tired, crabby and/or in a hurry.  

Of course, that is exactly what I did last Thursday...  

When cutting circles out of paper, the best tool is the Martha Stewart Circle Cutter.  

However, it becomes a deadly weapon when you try to remove the protective blade cover,
 while breaking up the kid's latest spat
in the five minutes before leaving to take the kids to baseball practice... 

Next thing I knew the kitchen table looked like a murder scene
 and the kids were begging to see my three slashed fingers.  

"I wanna see it, Mommy!"  "Show me your cuts, Mom."  

At that moment, I was trying to decipher whether stitches were needed
as the sink turned red.... 

Enter next door neighbor to offer her medical advice... 

She wasn't sure and all I knew was that one kid needed to be at baseball
and the other had a pediatrician's appt in an hour...  

My bloody stump would have to wait....  

Actually, Kate's doctor took a look and said
I could avoid stitches if I stopped the bleeding...  

Gross, I know, but I gave my fingers the death grip
and now I am sporting Hello Kitty band aids for the next week or so.
Man, those hands could use a manicure and paraffin dip! 

Needless to say, I was not in the mood to bake after all that,
so I bought some baked goods
and shoved the cute little circle cut signs into them.  

Not my best effort, but given the circumstances a good one...  

So where were you when you heard OBL was dead?  

Tom and I had watched a couple of Netflix episodes of Spartacus
(talk about blood and guts...sheesh)
and were oblivious Sunday night...  

As I headed to bed, I glanced at the computer and saw the headline...  

My first reaction was fear.  Does he have an automatic retaliation plan in place?  

How should the world brace itself for almost certain acts of revenge?  

I was embarrassed by the cheering and dancing in the streets... 

As a friend put it, her five year old daughter asked, "Didn't he have a mom?"  

I see both sides and am glad justice is done,
but a death is still a solemn thing in my mind... 

Time will tell as to how terrorism as a whole will be changed...  

Let's hope for a little more peace,


there will still be a need for armored cars...

No doubt about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment