Friday, August 20, 2010

Gratitude

This post has been completed with no photos, for pictures can't really describe the last two days.  I am about to fall into bed and fall asleep before my head hits the pillow.  However, I felt compelled to share the events of the last two days before said unconsciousness commences.


Yesterday was to be a big day...

American Girl day!!  

Kate was selected for a Winter photo shoot for their website.  We traversed to Madison, WI a few weeks ago for an audition, and by gum, she was chosen.  So, yesterday, we rose early and drove the 3 hours north to a photo studio in Madison.  

Kate was in a great mood on the way up and we practically skipped into the studio.  She has had a few other modeling gigs before and knows the score.  

We were met with the stylist who started the makeup hair portion of the deal.  I sat with other moms and waited.  

Soon, Kate appeared in a cute American Girl jammie set, but she looked wide eyed, 

in not a good way.  

The stylist gave me a warning look and all of a sudden Kate was in my arms, saying she was too shy to get in from of the camera.  

What?!  

The studio has a large, dark room, brightly lit in the center with the paper and a doll cradle with a baby wearing the same jammies.  Lots of people were in the periphery, so I can see where it might be a little intimidating.  

But this was AMERICAN GIRL...her break!  Girls who do well here come back.... a lot.  

Well, I pleaded, bribed, cajoled, you name it and NOPE, she was done.  I got that sick feeling in my stomach and there was nothing I could do to convince my 4 year old to do her job.  

Humiliated, we packed up and drove the 3 hours home.  So, I sucked it up, had a beer and got over it.  

Little did I know day 2 would challenge me even further....

We woke at 5:45 this am, all packed and ready to fly to Amelia Island, FL for a 2 week stay at my in-law's vacation home.  We have been so looking forward to an end of summer respite.  

Tom drove us to O'Hare and after a turtle's pace security line, we were at the gate.  

American changed the gates, but I was not privy and we MISSED the FLIGHT!  

Again, sickness at the pit of my stomach as I was told the next flight was 4 hours later on STANDBY.  

I did not pack enough food for these ravenous monkeys, how would I entertain them for THAT LONG??  I've got to hand it to my kids.. in time of crisis, they stepped up and were angels.  

We finally boarded the next plane and flew with a small delay to Jacksonville.  Headed to the American Baggage Claim office to be met with a laminated sign..."Gone, but back in 10 minutes".    

You have GOT to be kidding me!  

We finally retrieved our bag and found a kind taxi driver who drove us the hour toward Amelia.  

Oops, the main road is closed due to construction....  

So we get to the house after four wheeling it through a woods to find a passable road.  I get into the garage, but cannot, for the life of me get the combination lock to the house key open.  

Several swear words and two calls to Tom later, I get that thing open, unlock the house to find that the power is out.  In the miliseconds between opening the garage door the power went out due to the recent rain storm.    

I opened the garage fridge to find Sophia Coppola cans of champagne.  I chugged one before finding out Tom's aunt and uncle were also in town for the weekend.  


So there is a silver lining to this surreal day...dinner with family and a few drinks thrown in.  


I can only hope tomorrow is blessedly uneventful.....

No comments:

Post a Comment