Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Old School Mints...




 Midwesterners love their cream cheese...  

Attend any sort of gathering; family parties, 
birthday celebrations, card clubs, 
cream cheese is a primary cast member...  

We Midwestern folks have created a whole plethora of cakes, 
pies, appetizers, candies and casseroles 
where good old Philadelphia Cream Cheese 
is figured into the recipe...  

Don't get me wrong, cream cheese makes food tastier, 
even if it isn't so good for the derriere'... 


So, my dear friend and next door neighbor, Chris, 
is throwing a pre-prom photo session/party 
for her eldest daughter this week...  

And without a second thought, 
I decided there HAD to be cream cheese mints 
on the party table... 

Now, I haven't ever made these little guys, 
but the memories of those delicious, addictive mints 
gracing so many celebrations of my past, pushed me to
search my other BFF, Pinterest, for a recipe...  

And there it was, thanks to Kitchen Trial and Error

Really, there's nothing to it...  

Whip 3 ounces of softened cream cheese 
until it is light and fluffy...  

Add just one drop of food coloring...
  

I chose minty green...  

Add 1/4 tsp of mint extract...  

Now add 4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, 
in 1/2 cup increments...  

The dough will be very stiff, but if it is too crumbly, 
add more softened cream cheese in teaspoon additions...  

Next is the fun part...  

Pull apart 1 1/2 teaspoon-sized chunks 
and roll them into little balls...  

The dough should be Play Dough consistency...  


Then drop the minty ball into a small vessel
of granulated sugar and coat it all over... 


Place the sugar coated mint onto wax paper 
and gently flatten the sphere with a fork... 

 Voila'!  

Aren't they cute?  

These babies taste sooo good, too...
  

I am going to have to get them next door asap 
so I don't eat them all!!  

It took me about an hour,
 start to finish to make the mints, 
so it's a good quick treat to make as a hostess gift 
if you are invited to an impromptu barbecue, 
or you can hide them in the back of the fridge 
for your own personal, secret snack... 

 Not that I would do something so selfish...  



Okay, yes I would!

No comments:

Post a Comment