Friday, May 3, 2013

Call of the Slice...

 
There are four pieces of pizza 
left in the refrigerator...  

Delicious, cold, lonely slices, 
languishing on a limp paper plate...  

They are calling my name...  

Jack enjoyed tasty, thin crust sausage pepperoni za 
last night, pre-hockey game, 
in some far flung suburb,
 at a local Italian restaurant near the rink... 

We were clearly outsiders 
as we walked into the small trattoria 
and all eyes turned in our direction...  

I thought I heard a record scratch to silence...  

Come on, People, does our attire 
scream City Dwellers, or something?  

Anyway we were seated in a corner of the restaurant, 
a good vantage point to watch the locals 
and a little Cubs baseball on the TV....  

These are the restaurants where the good, 
authentic Italian dishes can be found...  

I saw some amazing plates steam past us...  

Jack and I were in a hurry, 
so he had his pepperoni pizza 
and I chose a caesar salad, 
which was delicious, I might add...  

But today, as I am home bound, 
waiting for a Fed Ex delivery, 
I must decide what to make for lunch...  

For the last month or so 
I have cut out all carbs...  

It is about as enjoyable as watching endless reruns 
of "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman"...  

To a person who loves food, 
not enjoying pasta, croissants, 
the occasional cookie and wine, for Pete's sake, 
is torturous...  

And it doesn't get easier, either...  

As I watch my children savor a mint chocolate Klondike bar, 
I want to snatch it out of their little hands 
and shove it into my pie hole...  

Savage feelings come out, they do...  

So this readily available leftover pizza 
is taunting me from behind the refrigerator door...  

I am not a lunch person...  

Ask me to make breakfast, brunch 
or a four course dinner, 
I am excited and ready to go...  

However, I could care less about lunch...  

Never liked sandwiches all that much, 
unless someone else pulled out the stops 
to make one for me...  

I like soup, but not from a can...  

And who wants to work that hard 
to make soup for lunch?  

Anyway, the pantry does not offer many lunch options 
in this house...  

What to make that is "low carb" for lunch?  

Pizza!   

"No!! says the angel on my other shoulder...  
 "Be firm!  
Have some discipline, you weak ninny!"  

So she beat me into submission 
and I made a rather tasty tuna salad...  

In a bowl, 
I combined one small can of oil packed tuna fish,
 a tablespoon of rinsed capers, 
about 6 chopped pitted kalamata olives, 
a tablespoon of chopped oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, 
a teaspoon of pesto, pepper, pinch of salt 
and about 1/4 cup of mayonnaise.  

On the plate, I added a handful of sliced grape tomatoes 
and some cottage cheese... 

It was delicious and satisfying 
and those pizza slices will remain safe 
for other hungry hands...  

Phew, that was a close one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment