Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Cosmic Collision...



It almost didn't happen...  

We came one dust laden Q-Tip away 
from spinning into different orbits...
 
That's when I wonder if things are meant to be;
 if the fates puppet us around in this life 
or if dumb luck is in play 
with what direction we end up careening...  

It had been about ten days
since T$ and I met at the Rock Bottom Brewery...  

After a plate of nachos and a few beers, 
T$ declared he was going to
 "Take me to Vegas and marry me!"...  

A brash announcement, given we had known each other 
about seventy-five minutes at that point... 

Two spit swappin' sessions in the car 
and a little over a week later, 
T$ invited me to meet his best friend and others 
 in the Gold Coast for dinner and drinks...  

I was excited...  

T$ was upbeat, handsome 
and he made me feel so comfortable, 
unlike the neurotic guys I had been seeing of late...  

Having been in the dating jungle for about ten years,
there were some stories to tell...

Most of them not good...

Our date was on a Saturday in April 
and I spent most of the morning
doing some spring cleaning of my tiny apartment...  

I got a bit OCD and even cleaned the phone 
with a Q-Tip soaked in rubbing alcohol...   

 Long before T$ was due to pick me up, 
I chose my outfit and primped for this important evening...  

After all, I was meeting his best friend 
and their close buddies! 

This was super scrutiny...  
I had to pass the test...  

After getting dressed, there was time to spare, 
so I watched Seinfeld reruns as the late afternoon
 turned to evening...  

Since we had just met, 
there was no way to know if T$
 was the punctual type...  

His arrival time came and there was no buzz 
from the apartment entrance...  

Fifteen minutes passed, and I started to wonder...  

Thirty minutes and worry gnawed at me...  

Was I being stood up?  
T$ did not seem like that kind of guy...  

He was so sweet, so real...  

I didn't want to call him, 
because it would be too humiliating
 if he WAS blowing me off...  

Forty five minutes later... 

 I looked out the window...  

No white Tahoe...
  

Even though the phone didn't ring,
 I reflexively went over to check 
the answering machine for messages...  

The message light blinked 3!  

I listened to the first message 
and T$ said he was downstairs,
 ringing my buzzer...

HUH???

There was no buzz! 
 I was sitting five feet from the intercom!

Second message stated that now he was across the street, 
at the cafe, waiting to see if I would come home...  

My apartment was dark 
because I was just waiting for him 
to arrive while watching TV...  

Third message went something like this,
 "Lori, this is Tom.  I guess you aren't home.  
I thought we were going out tonight.  
Oh well, see you around..."  

See you around???  

That is the man phrase for "You have just been dumped!!!"  

I felt sick, realizing that my freakish cleaning routine 
had inadvertently turned off the phone ringer 
AND the front door buzzer must have broken
 in the last 24 hours...  

How could such a coincidence of events 
have such a dramatic impact on my love life?!  

I decided that I needed to take this situation 
into my own hands and I called T$...  


He was rather frosty on the phone 
and let me know that if I wished to join him and his friends
 I could find my own way
to meet them in the city...  

I grabbed my purse and ran to hail a cab...  

My heart was beating fast 
as I mentally searched for a way
 to repair the damage that had been done...  

What did Tom tell his friends?  


Did they now hate me?  

Would I have struck out early in the game? 

 Unfortunately for me, I did not have much cash in my wallet
and I had to jump out of the taxi
 four blocks away once the fare reached my limit...  

I ran the whole way to Mary's condo...  

All eyes fell on me as I entered the room, 
gasping for air...  

Smiling nervously, I recounted the story, 
hoping they would believe the ridiculousness of the
 "Three's Company" scenario...  

Well, by the time I finished my second glass of wine, 
T$ had his arm around me
 and the warm hospitality of his friends 
made me feel accepted...  

Given that T$ had been involved
with a psycho case or two in his past, 
his pals were understandably protective... 

 To learn that I was somewhat normal (hah!) 
came as a relief, I guess...  

Over fourteen years later, T$'s dear friends 
are also my cherished pals...  

We still laugh about that evening 
where I almost wasn't the one...  

I guess the planets were aligned, after all...


Oh, and by the way, T$ did take me to Vegas
 and marry me...

2 comments:

  1. Are you freaking kidding me? What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grateful for aligned planets and opportunities like your friendship! Colleen

    ReplyDelete