Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My Favorite Things 2012


Not to be confused with the Christmas Gift List 2012 
(coming later...), 
this list is purely self indulgent...  

Kind of, but not really like those 
"Can't Live Without" lists of celebrities 
you read in the Tribune or in national magazines...  

I figure if I love it, you might, too...  

Why not share things that bring a little happiness?  

So here goes:



This twisty pasta is exotic...  

It makes the most humdrum pasta dish 
seem more sublime...  

At $2.99 a box, it's a mini luxury...  

You can find it at Target...


 
As someone who can afford manicures 
about as often as presidential elections, 
I need a good base and top coat that will last.  

Sally Hansen base coats cause my polish to peel off 
within twenty four hours of application.  

Considering that it takes me weeks 
to find the time to even do my own nails, 
the polish better stick!  

This stuff does the trick even though I give my hands a beating...




Okay, these are not inexpensive...  

In fact, they are quite pricey, 
but they are the ultimate in investment dressing... 

St. John pants last for many years, 
never wrinkle and you always look FABULOUS in them...  

When I worked for St. John nearly twenty years ago, 
we had to wear their line to work... 

My decades old pants died last year...  

I miss them dearly, hint, family, hint....Size M...:)



At $4.99 a bottle, you can purchase a case 
without guilt and you will be ready for holiday entertaining 
or for yourself!  

This fizzy prosecco is delicious 
and tastes especially lovely while I cook dinner 
to the background of kids screaming...


  
Pinterest Friends, you already know how great this stuff is...  

$5.99 will get you the softest, 
most Farrah Fawcet-like tresses possible...  

A mushy handful of coconut oil 
is kneaded into your dry locks... 

Let it work its magic for about fifteen minutes 
(or overnight, if you can stand it) 
and then wash it out two times...  

I gotta tell ya, it's super restorative!



 

Have you met Felix yet?  

Gosh, let me introduce you to some seriously cool people 
with outrageous illustrative talent...  

If you are in need of a small, yet satisfying indulgence or gift
this is the site to see...  

Amazingly beautiful address labels, 
book plates and paperweights to name just a few 
of the spectacularly unique items they carry...  

Oh, how I love them...



For sure, nothing is better 
than your own mama's Italian beef...  

But who has the time to slow cook 
her traditional recipe?  

I swear, Papa Charlie's is a tasty alternative, 
and you can find it at Aldi's... 

If you want to amp them up a bit, 
get some nice crusty sandwich rolls, 
smear them with crushed garlic 
and olive oil and give them a toasting... 

Saute some peppers and onions 
if you want to gild the lily...  

"Papa" comes through in a pinch...




Tommy is my music explorer
 and he found these guys via Rhapsody 
a few years ago... 

All I have to hear is "Lebanese Blonde" and the stress falls away...  

Check them out online....  

Great lounge-y tracks for cocktails and cooking...  




This was a Christmas gift last year 
and it is my savior... 

For years I did not read books because, 
A: Hardbacks are ridiculously expensive 
and B: People with little kids rarely 
have time to read or shower, for that matter.  

Now that the kids can swim in the pool 
without hanging on to me for dear life in the shallow end, 
I can enjoy "Gone Girl" or Tina Fey's memoir without guilt.  

And, no, I have not read 
that book about the color grey yet.....



 
Remember when we were kids 
and we would speculate about inventions in the future?  

Most of us imagined phones with TV screens, right?  

What a revolution to be able to see 
who you are talking to!  

I love calling my mom or T$ 
and seeing their smiles as we connect...  

It really is the best, especially for the grandparents...  

Heck, last night I talked with an old friend, 
who lives in New Zealand, for an hour!  

Now how cool is that?



 

Oh man, these little cookie treasures 
only appear on the shelves during the holidays...

 At my local store, if you don't fill your cart upon first sighting, 
you are out of luck until next year...  

I am already on the look out for these babies...  



The best things in life are free 
and surely with all the pain and tragedy 
the world dishes up on a daily basis, 
we understand family, health 
and love are what matters...  


These little indulgences are the icing on the cake...  

Excuse me now, I am going to cuddle up with my Kindle, 
a glass of Secola 
and a few star cookies....







No comments:

Post a Comment