Sunday, November 11, 2012

Brace Yourself...



 Best laid plans...  

As a planner, it's my worst nightmare 
when things don't go according to plan...  

I have a hard time adjusting 
to alternatives when forced to... 

Not that I am inflexible...

Did I just hear my husband snort?

It takes me a few minutes of panicked thinking, 
"Now what am I going to do?!" ,
 until reality, realization and acceptance kicks in....   

Two weeks ago, my day was rolling along well, according to plan, 
when I received a noontime call from the school 
that my daughter was throwing up in the girl's bathroom...  

Sigh, there went the rest of the day...  

I scooped her up and salvaged some of my planned chores
while she recuperated 
from her suspicious stomach ailment...  

Funny how your tummy feels SO much better 
once you are on the couch...

Late last week, Kate fell while at gymnastics 
and twisted her ankle, 
but it seemed like more than the usual sprain...  


Remembering my own ankle mishaps as a gangly, uncoordinated kid, 
I sympathized as she hopped around 
on her good foot the next morning...  

Missing the half day of school Friday, 
I took her to the urgent care 
for a check up and resulting X-Ray...  

On the way to radiology, I realized my poor, gimpy girl 
could not make the walk to the third floor, 
so the nurse put her in a wheelchair....  

Wow!  "Now this was real service and attention 
and a cool ride!", Kate was clearly thinking 
as I pushed her down the halls...  


After a normal X-Ray, the doctor fitted Kate 
with a soft foot brace to give her a little extra support, 
and boy, was it ever miraculous 
how she could instantly walk with ease!  

It was the prop she had been looking for 
ever since her schoolmate broke her ankle 
and got a cast on her foot...  

Oh, the attention she was going to get 
the second she hobbled onto the playground next week!  

Oh, the sympathy and free pass from gym!  

This was awesome! 

She kept Freudian slipping 
and called her brace a "cast"...

My BS detector starting beeping in my ear...

There is a sprain there and she does have some pain, 
but when she hopped over to me this morning 
on her good foot again, 
I decided some emotional warfare was in order...  

I was getting a little tired of this charade, 
and given the five day school break, 
I was in no mood for continued milking of the injury...  

"Gee, Kate, I was hoping to take you to see a movie today, 
like "Wreck It Ralph."  But since that you can't walk very far, 
I don't see how you can walk through the parking garage 
or even to the theater with your ankle hurting so much today.  
Guess we will have to stay home."  

It was truly amazing how much better her ankle felt 
at that moment and how her walk improved...  

It was as if the angels came, from above,  
to rescue this poor soul with pigtails 
and  they healed her ankle right then and there...
  

Mothers are allowed a fair amount of mental gamery and deceit 
to make the world function properly...  


Oh, and that thing about knowing EVERYTHING 
that is going on, along with eyes in the back of our heads 
is totally true...

That superpower appears 
around the fifth month of gestation...

Just sayin'...

Otherwise there would be anarchy 
and the world would slip off its axis...



Kate had also planned to visit her grandparents this weekend, 
but Grandpa fell ill 
and we rain checked that event for another day...  

Kate needed to be distracted from her disappointment 
as well as her real/fake injury, 
so I scrambled for a quick craft...  

Once again, Pinterest to the rescue!  

This is a GREAT rainy day activity 
and it is SO easy....  

Sharpie Tie Dye...  


Gather some plain white T Shirts, 
Sharpies in a variety of colors, 
rubbing alcohol, 
rubber bands, 
plastic cups, 
medicine dropper, 
blow dryer or iron 
and some iron on appliques (optional)  

1.  Stretch a section of the front of the T Shirt 
over a plastic cup 
and secure tightly with a rubber band. 


2. Design your T with the Sharpies in the tight circle.  
I find small circles of color, close together, 
make the coolest designs, 
but this is where your little one can be very creative. 


3.  Fill the dropper with the alcohol 
and let them drip, drip drip it 
over their design and watch the colors run.  


4. When it has stopped running, 
gently blow dry the image.  

5. Then move the cup to another section of the T Shirt 
until you have decided you are finished.  

6. Toss the T Shirt into the dryer to set the ink.  

Then I ironed on some appliques from Jo Ann Fabrics 
to add a little extra something...  

That's it!  


It's great for old Tees that have stains on them...  

Kate had a blast 
and it cost me about $4.00 
for the appliques....


I need to appreciate the days 
when things do go according to plan...
  

And really, sometimes the alternative plan 
is as fun as the original anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment