Sunday, September 16, 2012

Oven Roasted Tomatoes



There's this weird thing I do....

 Well, Tommy would say there are a LOT of 
weird things I do, but I won't elaborate on that just now... 

When I am tired or stressed out, 
I either clean or I cook...  

Most normal people, sleep, vent or eat, 
but I find if I can obtain some control 
in my little quirky world, I feel better... 

We just returned from a weekend 
at a friend's fabulous new lake house, 
enjoying the woods and fresh air 
with their three children and two adorable Labs... 


We drank copious amounts of wine, 
ate great food, fished, rowed boats, 
swam and played games... 

 After the ninety minute drive home 
in glorious Indian Summer sunshine, 
along the shores of Lake Michigan, 
we arrived home and I am  flat out exhausted... 

So is Tom, he is snoozing upstairs 
as I write... 

So what do I do instead 
of sitting down with the Sunday paper? 

I spy a window full of tomatoes 
that couldn't get any riper...

 Is riper a word?  Oh well....

Even before unpacking the bags, 
I am slicing , salting and oiling the tomatoes up 
for a slow roast in the oven... 

Autumn brings out my craving for comfort food....

Roasting tomatoes preserves them for bruschettas, 
lasagnas and tasty pastas... 

It makes me feel productive to make sure those beautiful, 
crimson orbs are not wasted... 

And they smell damn good in the oven, too... 

Here is a great recipe for roasting tomatoes...

 Here is another one I like, too...

 Enjoy your Sunday 
and say a prayer the kids go back to school tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment