Friday, June 15, 2012

Goin' Solo....



The school doors flew open with only 
the joy and glee singular 
to the last day of school...

Kids burst outside with wide smiles 
and report cards...

They turned west, not into the sunset, 
but toward the school picnic at Hamlin Park...  

Armed with water balloons and squirt guns 
rivaled only by those brandished in "Men In Black 3", 
it was pure battle between bites of grilled dogs and Doritos...  

Parents set up camp, by grade level, 
along the perimeter, tables of veggies, dips, 
cubed fruit, salads, chips, brownies, 
cookies, burgers and dogs...  

Juice boxes littered the ground, semi drunk...  

Parents shared whose what where next fall 
and what's up for summer...  

I am an outsider in the fourth grade parent crowd, 
having joined school when Jack 
was halfway through first grade...  

By then most parents 
have bonded during kindergarten...  

Becoming part of the group
can be a challenge, 
even for grown ups... 

So, I did what any little kid would do, 
I brought candy... 

The adult kind...  

I brought Sangria...  

It was a risk, given that, 
A: alcoholic beverages are prohibited 
at city parks and, 
B: that some parents might not find humor 
in an adult beverage at a kid event...  

My feelings on the subject are, 
A: some rules are meant to be broken, 
B: It's Friday and the last day of school, and 
C: if they can't take a joke, then tough noogies.    

The key was to offer said Sangria 
in perfectly concealed containers; 
Solo cups... 

I am not an innovator... 

Earlier in the week at the kindergarten picnic 
at the same park, 
a group of parents were cradling Solo cups 
in such a way as one does while drinking booze.  

It was telltale; a sure giveaway 
that they were shunning authority.  

They were drinking rose'!  

Oh, we were jealous, 
us water bottle toting people!  

And that is when I decided 
to throw caution 
to the wind 
and bring the good stuff...  

I first offered the fresh, fruity drink 
to one of my friends whom I knew 
was up for more than a can of Coke... 

She gratefully accepted the Solo 
and would have drunk more if she didn't have 
to corral her three kids 
and drive them six hours up north 
for the weekend...  

I then became more brave 
and offered the Sangria to a mom 
I am getting to know... 

Her surprise and elation at the thought 
of an alcoholic bevvie 
was pleasantly refreshing....  

So far so good...  

I finished my half filled Solo 
and was feeling almost reckless 
as I offered Sangria to the PTA president, 
no less!  

She almost looked relieved 
as she sipped from the Solo.... 

It felt good to hang with the moms 
for more than the five minutes 
at pick-up each day...  

I felt a little bit like the nerdy kid, 
trying to score with the popular crowd, 
but who cares?  

We had some fun 
while the kids ran themselves ragged...  

I have a bunch of this tasty Sangria 
left over and the sun is setting....  

Time to go share with some neighbors....  

Summer is here!

This Sangria is from Aldi and cost only $4.99.  
I juiced it up with 1/2 C orange juice, one small jar of maraschino cherries, sliced limes, lemons, apples and oranges.  
Chill and serve over ice.....

No comments:

Post a Comment