Monday, October 10, 2011

Jack Herlihy's Day Off...




You would have thought I'd put two and two together 
when I scheduled an appointment for Jack 
at the Chicago Board of Education...  

Back in the not-killed-off-by-pinot-grigio recesses of my brain, 
it registered that it was a public holiday, 
but since the receptionist accepted date for our appointment, 
I thought we were in...  

Jack needs a work permit 
to try his hand at the modeling gig and, 
get this...the Board of Ed, 
closes at 3pm weekdays... 

School lets out at 2:45pm, 
so I will have to take him out of class to go down there...  

If that wasn't one of the most backward ass situations, 
I don't know what is...  

Thus, I tried to get him there on a no school day... 

It was not to be... 

We drove into the Loop, 
parked the car in one of those lovely $28.00 parking garages, 
hoofed it to the State of Illinois building, 
only to walk up to locked doors and darkened halls... 

 Luckily, I only had to deal with Jack at the moment...

Kate was frolicking at Smarty Party
a fabulous kid happy place for little ones to have fun...  

Today they were making Apple Crisp and crafting it up...  

So, with the morning stretched out in front of us, 
in the heart of the big city, 
I had to decide what to do... 

Oh, and I'm broke, as usual... 

It was only 9:00 
and stores don't open until ten on State Street...  

On Block 37, new retail has sprung up; 
Puma, Anthropologie, Zara...

All stores I'd love to spend some leisure time in...  

Jack, is not the patient shopper, as you can imagine...  

Luckily, one of the new businesses was the 
fresh from New York City...  

It's mostly a cupcakery, 
happy in its bead board, marble countertopped homeyness...  

Jack ordered a soy hot chocolate 
and a chocolate raspberry cupcake...  

Whoa, that's a lot of chocolate!  

But he was content...

We hung out there until ten 
and then ventured into Marshall Fields, 
oops, Macy's.  
Sorry, but I am still sad about the demise of Field's....  

For the last three years or so, 
I have avoided most stores, 
but particularly department stores...  

It is just too depressing
to see the abundance of beautiful things 
that I can't possibly buy...  

I'd rather be ignorant to their loveliness...  

Today was not different, except, 
I did actually enjoy looking at the festive costume jewelry... 

It reminded me of the old days, 
working for Liz Claiborne and St. John, 
working the jewelry cases 
and bulking up the items for holiday...  

They are clearly boosting inventories 
and the cases sparkled...  

We ventured into the Inc. department to look around...  

I do love their private label line...
good quality, trendy, but not too trendy 
and the price is right...  

OOO...How about this fun furry jacket?  


who would look great in this number....  

Jack's patience was wearing thin, 
so I took him to the sixth floor
to cast his eyes upon the famous ornament department... 

It is a wonderland of dozens of trees 
encrusted with every kind of ornament imaginable...  

Oh, the sparkle!  

Oh the fragility!  

Yikes...Jack is definitely a bull in a china shop, 
so I had to keep a close eye...  

Ornaments were 30% off for Columbus Day 
so I was able to let him buy one and one for Kate...  

There was even a Hello Kitty tree....  

It was dazzling...  

Is it that time already?!  

I haven't even gotten my brain around Halloween yet...  

Is it time to make Christmas lists, 
plan the holidays and think about recipes?  

I guess it is....  
If any of you have any beloved, 
super tasty cookie recipes, 
I'd love for you to share them....  

Only 12 weeks until Christmas.....

No comments:

Post a Comment