Wednesday, October 12, 2011

High Contrast...

Life is weird...  

As they say, "One day you're the Windshield, 
the next, you're the Bug!"  

You know that unrestricted joy you sometimes feel... 
driving on a gorgeous day, windows down, music blasting 
and all is right with the world.. 

The next, your youngest is barfing at 2 am, 
the sink is leaking again 
and your son got an F in Geometry....  

2009 was a steady stream of that for us, 
mostly the bug part...  

That's when I found gratitude in the little moments, 
such as "Today, I have a house that
won't fall into the neighbor's 
and no one's sick", 
instead of dwelling on the fact that the toilet WAS leaking 
and our parked car was sideswiped for the third time...  


There are plenty of happy moments to balance it out...


So, this last week has been Indian Summer perfection... 

Kids playing outside after school, 
leaves are falling and rustling in the street 
and my meatloaf was awesome last night... 

Windshield moment....  

Then the Bug moment, 
when I went to Target 
to get caramel balls, undies 
and a kid's birthday present, 
all under $20...


"Sorry, Ma'am, your card has been declined."  

WHAT?!  

I have been soooo good the last couple of weeks/ 3+years...  

Aldi, coupons, throwing away all catalogs, Ramen noodles..

I couldn't understand it...  

We have been watching the balance like hawks and all of a sudden it's empty?  

Well, it's funny how things work... 

At HEAT Armor, in the very beginning, 
we had to use our personal debit card as a back up for vendors...

It seems UPS had our card in the PayPal/incoming department 
of the HEAT account and nearly $1,000.00 slipped out that way...  

No wonder I kept feeling  like I couldn't figure 
where the money went when I KNEW I wasn't buying anything...  

Whew...I am off the hook this time!  

When the reimbursement comes, 
I am stashing the cash away for Christmas....  
So..... coming up, there will be another windshield moment....  

Tom is taking me to Paris for a trade show for a few days....  

How, do you ask, 
can a couple of flat broke folks like us 
get to see the City of Light?  

The reward of his frequent business trips =  miles 
and I'll eat cheap and window shop and take lots of pics... 

I can't wait....  

Haven't ever been there....

Have been studying French phrases like, 

"Ou sont les toilettes?" 

and "Avez-vous un menu en Anglais?"  

It will be a wonderful time to explore 
and maybe even spend some time with Tom 
when he is not trade-showing... 

I'll feel the unrestricted joy of not doing laundry, 
 of not picking up wrappers from the floor 
nor cleaning lumps of toothpaste from the bathroom sink.... 

I'll enjoy taking a shower without stepping on a plastic Dora....  

Peeing alone...  

Eating lunch without stopping every 18 seconds 
to refill a glass, 
stop a fight 
or pick up ravioli from the floor 
(we need a dog for that)... 

But, of course,
to comfort those of you who would NEVER 
even think of leaving your children for more than one day, 
much less enjoy it, 
YES, I will miss my dear, sweet children... 

I will worry that they are being taken good care of, 
that they will be bathed nightly, 
read to 
and tucked in....

Perhaps the fates will punish me 
for my time away 
and the Bug will smack me in the face upon my return... 

Or maybe not...



A treat for you....  I found this cute tutorial today.  I plan to make these...check 'em out for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment