Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hotter than the Hinges of Hades...


Hot enough for ya?  

Anything of yours break down in the heat?  

Car, air conditioning, self control?

Our A/C unit did, for the third year in a row....

Like anyone, I do love a visit from the repairman...

You know, the one who looks like felonies are a fun hobby 
and who considers you to be some dumb chick 
who can barely set the thermostat, 
much less understand the intricate workings of an air handler system....  

To that, I say, perhaps I do understand 
and if you mention air tonnage, evaporator coils, condensing units 
and the total HVAC package, 
then YES, Mister, throw it at me....  

and your 10 years of education in all things air...
  

I am not as dumb as I look....  

Soooo, it's hot and it makes me a little slow 
and I might be as dumb as I look.... 

Today is Wednesday and my calendar after school was blank...  

So I wondered, what could I do with the kids 
for fun on this rare, uncluttered day?  

DQ, of course! 

We broke out the Tray-O-La-Bike 
and set off for the land of Dairy and Queens.  

As we enjoyed our treats, something kept bugging me...

I was missing something....  

Just as the watch struck 3:45, it came to me....

Kate's Little Gym final performance at 4pm!  

Yikes!  

We rode like kids after an ice cream truck back home, 
jumped in the car 
and made it there with three minutes to spare...  

Kate was unflustered as she did her rolls, cartwheels and balance beam tricks.  

I sat sweating in the sidelines and Jack smelled like a monkey's uncle.    

Sorry for the sideways video...  

I am not schooled in the phone video feature I guess....  

Afterward, we came home, played in the sprinkler and had a little dinner.  

This recipe is perfect for the beastly hot day 
because you can make the chicken patties in the am 
and just heat them up in the microwave before serving... 


 It's a tasty meal with no fuss... 

Chicken Koftas with Cucumber and Yogurt
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 1/4 pounds ground chicken or turkey
1/2 white onion, diced small 
1/3 C chopped fresh parsley leaves 
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 cucumber, diced large
1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
2 T vegetable oil
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
4 pitas
1/2 C fresh mint leaves for serving

In a large bowl, combine chicken, onion and parsley; season with salt and pepper.  Using your hands mix until well combined.  Form mixture into 8 oval patties.
 
In a medium bowl, toss together cucumber and yogurt; season with salt and pepper.  Ina large skillet, heat oil over medium-high.  Cook patties until browned on all sides and cooked through, 12 minutes.  Divide patties and tomatoes among pitas.  Top with cucumber-yogurt sauce and mint.  Fold to enclose and serve.
Kids loved it, too...  

Now if only we can get this house under 80 degrees....

No comments:

Post a Comment