Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Gone but Not Forgotten....





The 2010 Census showed that approximately 200,000 people left Chicago over the last decade. 

No need to analyze, but it has affected us... 

We have lost several good friends to the suburbs and to other parts. 

Typically, they were friends we made through our kids' schools... 

So, while their kids were little they fled to the land of bigger yards,
more school/camp choices and a slower lifestyle... 

I get it.... 

When we visit our suburban friends, we get that temporary longing for their expansive lawns, wide, quiet streets teaming with kids on bicycles and scooters, and large, picturesque homes. 

Maybe I'll change my mind, but for now we are city folks... 

The space between our homes may be only 36 inches and my yard may be a postage stamp,
but I like the closeness of our street. 

It feels good to know most of our neighbors and their kids... 

We are our own sort of strange village, and we watch out for each other... 

We can walk to most anything we need, from the grocery store to shops, restaurants and bars. 

Parks are close by, as is our school... 

But the city is not for everyone and so we have lost some good friends
to other counties and states... 

And dang, we were just getting to really know them, too! 

I attended a coffee at the home of the latest escapee... 

She and her family are moving to a suburb of Boston. 

As if the Chicago suburbs weren't far enough... 

Her husband got a great job and the boys are young enough to weather the change. 

It's just that I will miss her unique take on life and her infectious laugh. 

She used to be a flight attendant and I swear her photo is in the dictionary for
flight attendants.....impeccably dressed, slim, pretty and always smiling.  

She had a rebellious, NRA-toting Metallica side to her that was adorable, if that is possible... 

And now she is leaving me and she will leave a hole... 

Three weeks ago, another friend up and grabbed her family and high tailed it to a nearby suburb. 

It might as well be Lithuania... 

Oh sure, "We will get together all the time", she pleads, but I know better... 

Once you cross into the divide that is the suburbs,
your gritty memories of the city fade like a dream... 

We all hang out in our own neighborhoods, the same parks, stores and restaurants. 

Who has time to actually plan ahead, gather the kids and drive somewhere? 

She is a close friend and I know we will make the effort,
but I used to walk to her house for a glass of wine... 

No more..... 

I need some new friends to fill those irreplaceable holes, 
and yet I am too tired, busy and stressed to make the effort... 

I think after the age of 40 you realize more friends isn't necessarily better
and you need to nurture the ones you have... 

Maybe that is why I am sad to lose these gals to geography. 

At least we have email/texting and Facebook.... 

Maybe I'll go on Craigslist to find a new buddy or two.... 

Let's see:  "Forty Something Tired Mom seeks companion to share Friday afternoon glasses of wine, horror stories about their kids, someone who will help me rationalize into buying that tube of lipgloss  I absolutely don't need but want
and who will not move away before their kid's high school graduation. 
Must live within walking distance and have kids who annoy her as much as mine do to me". 
Husband optional but preferred as cigar buddy for mine..." 

It could be a Mommy Match. com kind of thing....  I may be on to something...                                                                                                                                            

9 comments:

  1. I'll miss you lots too! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. have I mentioned, "your writing rocks"? because it seems to me that there may be quite an audience out there who would enjoy hearing what you have to say. that being said, how far have you spread the love, your love for writing? not to mention that I've just had a gin n' tonic, I think you'd appreciate that, but you truly have a creative streak that could resonate with a broader audience....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can still get to you quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feelin' the love! Not sure how to broaden the audience beyond FB and Twitter. Any ideas welcomed, Cuz.... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister is crying right now. She was really touched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! Ain't this the truth!! "Life".... this part of the game of life I don't like. It's sad. But it is true how many friends we lose along the way. Cherish every moment. Memories last a life time. :) Good luck in both of your Journey's in Life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wellington Avenue is waiting! Wine poured freely on Fridays when work day is done. Come on over!

    ReplyDelete