Friday, September 13, 2013

Apple Cider Doughnuts...


Happy Friday!  

Happy Friday the 13th!  

It's a little known fact 
that eating fresh apple cider doughnuts 
are a suitable antidote to sightings of black cats, 
broken mirrors or spilled salt...  

I suggest you try this easy, 
fast recipe to preserve your good luck on this day...  

It was high time I began my annual 
feed the teachers campaign, 
so I got up early and tripled the recipe 
to make three dozen doughnuts...  

The wind shifted to the north overnight 
and the cool breeze smells of fall...  

The change in the weather is so refreshing 
after the tropical heat we have suffered all week...  

What better way to celebrate a crisp day
 than with an apple cider doughnut



Okay, maybe a honey wiess beer and a hot pretzel, 
but I can't serve those to the teachers, now can I?  

Maybe after school...hmmm...  

Anyway, this doughnut recipe calls for simple ingredients 
and a doughnut pan 
as these babies are BAKED...  

Let's face it, fried doughnuts are delicious, 
but the mess and smell of the hot oil 
is not my idea of fun at 6 am... 

However, popping baked doughnuts 
from a nonstick pan is faster, 
easier and much less mess...  

Dredge those hot circles of cinnamon-y joy in the glaze 
and THEN dip them in cinnamon sugar...  

Ohhh, it is autumn in one bite! 




It took longer than I thought to make three dozen doughnuts 
and I began to run out of time 
before the kids needed to get to school...  

So, I did something I haven't done before; 
I took the kids to school in my pj's...  

Have you done this?  

I threw on a jacket to cover my state of undress 
and Jack was tasked with delivering the doughnuts 
to the teacher's lounge this time...  

It was no biggie...  

There was a dad last year 
who would WALK his kids to school 
in his bathrobe and slippers...  

At least I was shielded from discovery 
in the car...  

Anyway, I hope the school staff 
enjoys Friday coffee and doughnuts...  

Oh jeez...  The school just called and Kate is sick...



See ya...time to get dressed!

Apple Cider Donut

Courtesy of tastykitchen.com
Prep Time
Cook Time
Servings 12 Difficulty Easy

Ingredients

  • FOR THE DONUTS:
  • 2 cups Flour
  • ¾ cups Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons Nutmeg
  • ¼ teaspoons Allspice
  • ½ teaspoons Cinnamon
  • ½ cups Apple Cider
  • ¼ cups Applesauce
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • FOR THE TOPPING:
  • 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider
  • 1-¼ cup Powdered Sugar
  • ¼ teaspoons Allspice
  • ¼ cups Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon

Preparation Instructions

In a large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon. Mix until blended. Add in the apple cider, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat for about 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
Lightly grease a doughnut pan (I use Norpro brand). Pour batter into a large Ziploc bag, seal the bag, and snip off the corner. I find this the easiest and cleanest way to get batter into pan without dripping. Pipe the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake doughnuts in a 325ºF oven for about 10 minutes, until they spring back when touched. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before removing from pan.
To make the glaze, whisk together the apple cider, powdered sugar and allspice until completely smooth.
In a separate bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon.
Dip each doughnut into the glaze (top of doughnut only) and then into cinnamon/sugar mix. The glaze will run down the sides and coat nearly the whole donut. Allow to dry on a cooling rack. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment