Friday, February 22, 2013

Snowdrifts and Safaris...


 

There's no getting around it; 

I got the Chicago Winter Blues...  

It always happens about this time 

 when February nears its end...  

In some parts of the country, 
March would signal spring, 
but in Chicago warm days don't show up 
with any regularity until June...  

Hey, I'm not exaggerating!  

Snow is not out of the question until May 
and you can keep your shorts in storage 
for at least a month past then...
  

I remember we threw my sister in law's graduation party 
in our back yard one afternoon in mid May 
and we had to break out the outdoor space heaters...  

It snowed last night and, yes, 
it was pretty to look at this morning, 
but I had to shovel all that heavy prettiness...  

It's especially fun to scrape and shovel the sidewalks 
that have been packed down 
by early morning commuters 
trudging past my house...  

Oh, and then we will be treated to frozen sleet and drizzle 
this afternoon, just to spice things up...  


It's true, the older you get, the less you like the cold...  

Yesterday I bought a heating pad, because, 
A: we needed one and 
B: my back was sore... 

The real reason I bought it was 
because I am COLD!  

I wedged that heating pad behind my back 
as I read in bed last night 
and it almost replaced T$ for warmth...  

Look out, Honey, there's a new heat source in town...  

Ha!  

So, while I am slogging around in the slush, ice and snow, 
bundling up kids, kicking dirty sludge from my boots, 
T$ is quaffing Guinness and picnicking 
on the African version of the Champs du marche...   

For the past week, he has been trekking across the UAE and into Kenya, 
working on important deals for our company, 
HEAT Armor...  

I want him to be there.... 

I want him to be successful...  

It's just at this moment 
while I contemplate the pile of painting supplies 
and endless walls of this house 
that beckon for a fresh coat of Benjamin Moore Navajo White, 
 I wish I was in a land 
with lions, giraffes and camels instead...  


It is 80 degrees over there...  


It is 20 degrees here...  


I think I'll make soup...  


I have made all of these and they are tasty...









No comments:

Post a Comment