Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Make 'Em Run...



I like a good scavenger hunt...  

That is, I like scavenger hunts when I am watching 
other people run around like headless chickens, 
while I laugh...  

Most kids love those hunts, 
 especially when they result 
in scads of chotchkies from places 
like Oriental Trading...  

Nothing like a bunch of cheap erasers 
and plastic rings to find their way 
to the back of a drawer or closet...  

Valentines Day is approaching
and I am making plans...  

T$ and I aren't going out on that evening
and I don't sense a whole lot of romance brewing 
on a school night... 

I think he leaves for some far flung destination 
the next day, anyway...  

So, the kids will benefit from my forethought 
and attempt at creativity...  

One good way to start the day 
is with a Valentine-related breakfast food... 

Cost Plus World Market sells a red velvet pancake mix, 
so I bought a package to make red velvet pancakes 
for the Valentines Day morning 
before they head off to school...
  
How much red dye is too much?

I'll throw something or other 
in their lunches to keep
the heart theme going...


Okay, this is beyond my energy or interest level,
but it looks cute...

Once they come home from school, 
the hunt will begin...  

I will inform them of the ground rules 
in the short car ride home from school...  

No pushing, fighting or other anti-lovey behavior,
or the game is cancelled!  

Jack will read the clues 
and Kate will help solve the puzzles...  

I will print out the clues on paper, 
fold them over, punching a hole in each side 
and I will tie them closed with a ribbon...  

I have been looking for Valentine treats
on sale at Walgreens, 
Target, Aldi, Dollar store, etc.  

Here are my clues:



Happy Valentines Day,
You lovely, sweet kids!
Your first clue is where
You put on your “lids”…
(The first clue is hidden amongst the winter hat bin)

Now you have found

Your first treat inside of a hat,
The next one is hiding under
Something big, shiny and flat!
(Clue #2 is under the flat screen TV)


Yes the TV is flat and it

Entertains us all,
And your next treat will be found
Next to a ball…
(Clue #3 is in Jack's room, next to a ball, that is if they can find the note among the disaster that is Jack's room...)


Good Job! You found it

And now you must run
To find your next goodie
Where Wipe Out is fun… 

(Clue #4 is by the XBox in the apartment.  Yikes...I am just noticing that all the treats are chocolate..  My kids will be bouncing off the walls!)
Aha!  There it was,

Your present was sitting,
And now please go look where
Mom likes crafting and knitting…

(Clue #5 is in my craft cabinet.  Okay, I don't knit, but it rhymed...)

Oh Boy!  This is great and it’s almost

All through. 
Your last Valentine Treat hides
Where sparks go up the flu… 

(Clue #5 is inside the COLD fireplace.  Melted Chocolate is not a good thing, Martha...)

Happy Valentine, Dear Child

I love you so much!
I hope this special hunt
Was lots of good fun and such!!!
 


So, if your kids are still young enough to 
 be enthusiastic about scavenger hunts, 

give it a go...  

Later, for dinner I will either make them individual cornish hens
glazed in orange marmalade, 
citrus cashew salad 
or I will be too exhausted 
from all this heartfelt bedlam 
and we will order out pizza! 
Yeah....it's gonna be PIZZA....
 



No comments:

Post a Comment