Thursday, December 27, 2012

It's Not a Competition, Is It?



It is the end of the year... 

Time to squeeze in all the doctor visits 
while the deductible has been fulfilled....  

Internist, dentist, dermatologist, gyn, etc....  

So I scheduled my husband for all his applicable examinations, 
hoping he would show up for them 
and I set up the same for me...  

T$ met with Dr. Lio, an excellent dermatologist, 
who gave his epidermis a good look over 
and proceeded to excise four interesting looking bumps...  

The hubby is blessed with a whole plethora of mole types, so I was glad to 
A: have the most suspicious ones removed and 
B: learn that all of them were benign...  

Dr. Lio looked me over next 
and took off one shoulder mole 
that has pestered me for ages....

It was no biggie...  

And then T$ fasted 
and had the old fashioned annual physical 
with the requisite bloodwork...  

Two days later, his doc called him...  

"Mr. Herlihy, your numbers are a little concerning, 
so I thought I'd give you a call
 to talk them over,"    

Here are your stats:  
Cholesterol 244, 
Good Cholesterol: 59, 
LDL Cholesterol: 152, 
Trigylcerides: 165....  

"You need to adjust your diet 
and exercise regimen accordingly..."  

First thing T$ did was mention 
that I like to cook with butter...  

Talk about placing the blame!  

Even though I often make his lunch, 
I took offense at being the crux of his internal health...  

After all, was I supposed to be the angel 
on his shoulder those days 
when he swings through Burger King 
for a breakfast biscuit 
or a double fried chicken sandwich and fries?  

Was I supposed to be the cattle prod 
that made him exercise?  

Did I force him to have another beer, 
for Pete's sake?    

I will admit that I love to cook 
and my recipe choices 
would not be in any diet cookbook...  

Paula, Ree and Trisha are my friends, 
after all, and I do love comfort food 
like any good Midwestern girl....

No good party is without cream cheese...

Damn, changes would have to be made, 
for the health of my man... 

More poached/broiled/fat-free menus 
are in my future... 

The truth hurts...   

And THEN, I went in for my annual physical...  

Same routine, except that I did not have to turn and cough....
haha!  

My blood was drawn...  

And I waited...  

Would I have such high numbers?  

Would Lipitor be in my future?  

Today my doctor called me with the results...  

Cholesterol: 175, 
Good Cholesterol 70, 
LDL: 89, 
Triglycerides: 82...  

"Your numbers are excellent, perfect!" 
chirped my internist...  

I couldn't help the smug grin 
that spread across my face...  

Butter you say?!  

Fattening food, hmmm?  

The urge to gloat took over, 
because my cooking was being blamed for T$'s condition....  

And then I realized that our bodies are different...  

The numbers are what they are 
and even though my chemistry performs well on my diet, 
my husband's behaves differently...  

Regardless, I must adjust our meals 
to benefit his body...  

So, January will be the start of lighter, less fatty dishes...  

And, I will be dragging him out to exercise, 
no matter how much he protests...  

For Better, for Worse, and he may think the worse of me 
until his numbers and waistline shrinks...  

It's all in the name of love...

No comments:

Post a Comment