Monday, August 13, 2012

Freezer Diving...

 Note to Reader:  

The following photos have no relation to this post...  


They are photos of pretty places in Paris... 

This post is not about pretty places
or about Paris, 
for that matter... 

In fact, it is about old food...

Read on at your own risk...

We are headed out of town shortly 
to visit the grandparents for a couple of weeks 
and I  need to clean out the fridge before we go...

Tom is not joining us right away and he will, 
in no way, conspire to cook 
anything unless beer counts as a meal... 


So, in order to spare myself the olfactory pain 
of science experiments locked in Tupperware, 
I need to use up all perishables...  

It's like an episode of "Chopped", 
only not as much fun...  


 Okay, how this pink, feathery helicopter got
inside the palace of Versailles
is beyond me.
Maybe Lady Gaga accidentally left it there...

This is not Paris...
But you knew that already...

The rule of the game is to not choose a recipe 
that requires a trip to the grocery... 

Last night it was stuffed peppers...  


I had all colors of peppers left over 
from an Aldi run, a pound of ground beef 
and there is always rice in the pantry...

Throw in some cheese and tomatoes 
and you have it... 

Actually, the recipe I used is here.  

There was one head of broccoli 
that I steamed and parceled out for the four of us... 

I used up the boxed pie crusts 
and a bag of peaches from Trader Joes 
to make a pie... 

I even whipped up a pint of cream 
to top it off... 

That meal made a serious dent 
in the contents of the fridge, so much so, 
that I was a little stumped as to what to make tonight... 

Digging deep in the freezer, 
I found a frozen container 
of beef enchilada filling made a few months ago... 

There were also fresh flour tortillas, 
cheese and some sour cream, 
but damn if I was plumb out of enchilada sauce...

Here is where a stocked pantry 
and a little imagination comes into play... 

I tossed two cans of diced tomatoes with green chilis 
and some tomato sauce into the food processor 
and pureed it...  

Voila'!  

Enchilada sauce!  
This photo is not pretty...
In fact, it's creepy and we saw it everywhere...
I was compelled to share...
Sorry.


For dessert, I might make one of those 
cookie in a pan recipes 
I see on Pinterest now and then...  


It feels good to clean out the refrigerator, 
kind of like cleaning out my closet, 
except that the fridge 
has a distinct connection to my closet...  

If, perhaps, I would just fill the fridge 
with less food,
then my closet would house smaller sizes...  

And then again, maybe not...

No comments:

Post a Comment