Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Eating Bon Bons, er Pasta...


 When I stopped working at HEAT Armor,
I envisioned waking up mornings to ponder,
"What to do today?",
planning out where to window shop,
meet a friend for lunch or set about a major craft project...

Okay, in no way did I believe that was going to happen... 

However, I did not realize how busy
I have become since my final day as Mrs. Wiggins. 

Auditions, bookings, school band concerts,
volunteering at the book fair, Grandparents Day at school and
field trips have all stepped in the way
of my supposed blissful new existence... 

One morning was interrupted by a trip to deposit a company check
and it took two hours...Huh??


One can't get any sort of backyard tan
with only thirty minutes left in the day
before school pick up, now can we???


Oh the nerve!

So, today was the first day,
a full six weeks or so hence
that I had the day,
sort of,
to myself. 

Of course, I do have a part time job
and so I worked at my desk for a few hours this morning... 

But I enjoyed it, unrushed.

And now it's high noon
and the possibilities are endless... 


That is, if you are calling two hours until kid pick up
boundless reasons for glee and merrymaking... 

I'll take what I can get... 

It's lunch time, the pantry is rather bare...payday is tomorrow... 

I could cop out (as I often do)
and fire up the ramen noodles,
snarf down a large spoonful of extra chunky peanut butter
and call it a meal
or make myself a lunch like the Italians do... 

A leisurely, easy, yet carefully made meal... 

Home made pasta sauce... 

I can smell it bubbling on the stove,
all tomatoe-y and warm... 

The pasta water is at high simmer
and the fridge hums in harmony. 

I'd like to think of it as my version of bon bons...

So here is the recipe, straight from  
Mad Hungry, Feeding Men & Boys, 
by Lucinda Scala Quinn










Basic Italian Tomato Sauce
Makes 3 cups; enough for 1 pound of pasta
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 28-ounce can best-quality tomatoes, pulsed in a blender
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 sprig of fresh basil (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Swirl around the olive oil to coat the pan, and when the oil is hot, add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Stir constantly for 30 seconds, just long enough to release the garlic's fragrance and transform it slightly from its raw state. Don't cook it to golden.

    Raise the heat to high and stir in the tomatoes and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the basil sprig, if using. Remove the basil before serving and swirl in the butter, if using.



    And here is what's for dinner.....




Grilled Chicken Salad With Gazpacho Dressing
Ingredients

Directions

Preheat a grill pan over medium heat and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill until well marked and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. Add the bread to the pan and grill until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and rub with the garlic.
Make the dressing: Puree the olive oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons water, half each of the cucumber, tomatoes, parsley and almonds, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a blender until smooth.
Cut the chicken into strips. Tear the bread into bite-size pieces. Combine the arugula, chickpeas, chicken, bread and the remaining cucumber, tomatoes, parsley and almonds in a large bowl. Add half of the dressing, season with salt and pepper and toss. Divide among shallow bowls. Drizzle with the remaining dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment