Sunday, May 9, 2010

A really good Mother's Day....so far


Once I crossed the divide to motherhood, I eagerly looked forward to Mother's Day as my right to be pampered, relaxed and carefree for a day. 

Of course, some years that didn't happen since I was hosting a brunch and ended up planning, cooking and cleaning up the whole mess. 

Then I wised up and made brunch reservations..aha!  Someone else to cook and wash the dishes...love it! 


I was looking forward to that this week, with perhaps a massage or manicure thrown in, when I learned that not only was brunch at a nice restaurant

a delusion all my own,

but that also any hope of relaxation was a joke, indeed. 

It seemed that the needs of our little start up company far surpassed my selfish desires to kick back and do as I pleased. 

We have to complete a swat truck by early next week and all hands are on deck. 

They are welding the puzzle pieces together with awesome precision, thanks to the massive laser cutter that is computer guided. 

All the guys wear numerous hats at they work to build the first truck from scratch. 


So, in what universe do I have the audacity to whimper that I am due for a pedicure? 

None in this galaxy... 

All in good time will things fall into place....

I just wish it were sooner! 


So, to  make myself feel better I picked flowers. 

Two doors down is a rental house and those boys don't know nor care that this gigantic patch of lily of the valley grows in their yard. 

Lily of the valley is my favorite spring bloom...the fragrance is intoxicating!  So I walked over and picked a massive bunch. 


Now my back yard looks like Chernobyl from our construction disaster (see my January blog) but the snowball bush and lilac have survived. 



I picked a bouquet worthy of a florist's nod.  Ahhh, fragrant flowers in the house...that feels better! 


Postscript Sunday morning.....  Hubby and kids cooked up a lovely breakfast in bed, complete with heartfelt cards. 

And then the day, miraculously, got even better.  A friend suggested I drop the kids off at Pump It Up for a couple of hours.  They were having a Mother's Day event. 

The kids were so excited to finally go to the mystical Pump It Up, paradise of jumpy things and climbing walls, and I found myself leisurely strolling the aisles of the Whole Foods flagship store. 

The kids has two hours of good, clean jumpin' fun and the free time was a luxury for me. 


This Mother's day is shaping up!   

1 comment: