Monday, July 16, 2012

La Leche League


 This post is not about breast feeding...

Nope...

I sucked at breast feeding my kids, 
no pun intended, anyway...

It's been a Monday around here, if you know what I mean...

And the day is only half over...

It all started when I noticed the car made 
some noise after I turned it off...

Some whiny fan-like noise...

Never a good thing, right?

Of course, Tommy is out of town....

OF COURSE HE IS!

So I called him on some military base in New Mexico 
and he told me to high tail it
 to the dealership....

I could hear the cha-ching sound 
of dollar signs as I drove up...

After sitting in the lobby watching Hoda, 
Kathy Lee and then Billy Bush 
talk crap for almost two hours, 
I was pleased to be told that said whiny fan-like noise 
was going to cost me $1700.00.  

And, it would take all day to fix...

Awesome.

I needed a loaner to pick the kids up from camp 
and, Golly Gee, they were plumb out...

Great.

But, hey, Enterprise can send over a car....


That is one sexy minivan...

As I drove home to scrounge for lunch 
and to take a chill pill, 
I happened past The Wine Discount Center...

Just the opportune moment to search 
for that tasty rose' we drank at a friends' house recently...

Silver Lining...


They carried it!

Three bottles are chilling in the fridge 
should something else happen today...

So what about the La Leche part?

What really soothed my soul when I got home 
was eating forkfuls, right out of the pan, 
of the Tres Leches cake I made yesterday... 

This stuff is meant to be made the day before 
and it is PURE HEAVEN...

I think I can go forth and handle what the good Lord 
may dish out the rest of the day... 

It is that good....

Milk does a body good...


Tres Leches Cake, Courtesy of Bon Appetit Magazine

Cakes soaked in a sauce are designed so they can be made a day ahead. This classic Latin American version is as moist as promised.
16 servings
July 2012

Ingredients

  • Unsalted butter (for pan)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus more
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 large egg whites
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup evaporated skim milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tablespoon dark rum
  • Special equipment

    An 8x8x2" metal cake pan

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour bottom and sides of cake pan. Set aside.
  • Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in another large bowl until firm peaks form, 7-8 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating to blend between additions. Beat in 2 tsp. vanilla. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into pan; smooth top.
  • Bake cake for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; continue baking until cake is golden brown and middle springs back when pressed, 20-25 minutes more. Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet.
  • Whisk 1/2 tsp. vanilla, evaporated milk, and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Poke holes all over top of cake with a skewer. Slowly drizzle half of sauce over cake, letting liquid soak in before adding more. Let cake sit for 10 minutes.
  • Invert a plate on top of cake. Lift rack and gently invert cake onto plate. Drizzle remaining sauce over. Spoon any liquid collected on sheet over cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment