Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Calzones over the Miles...

Americans love portable food... 

It's why drive thru's were born...  

Speaking of drive thru's, my brother intentionally makes his voice 
sound full of static when he orders at the drive thru... 

Yep, my family is funny that way...  

Cracks me up...  

Anyway, with time being so compressed, 
who doesn't snarf a breakfast sandwich or Whampus Jr. 
on the fly now and then?  

Okay, maybe Martha hasn't ever sampled a Big Mac, 
but we have french fries that carbon date back to the pleicostene era 
under the drivers seat of my car...  

I am always looking for home made food more inventive than the PBJ 
to toss into the back seat for the journey from school 
to baseball practice, tumbling, tutoring, etc.  

Ask and you shall receive...  

My good friend, Ashlyn, came to the rescue this morning 
with a recipe that made my heart sing.

Now Miss Ashlyn and I were colleagues not long ago 
leasing retail space across the country.  

We were part of a group of folks 
who worked hard together for a number of years 
and became quite close, 
like family, I'd say...  

And when the recession hammer came down 
and scattered most of us to the winds, 
that good time came to an abrupt end... 

Most of us stay in touch, thanks to FB, 
but I sure miss my buddies...  

Ashlyn has two growing boys 
and she is a Southern gal, through and through,
full of energy, hospitality, smarts 
and awesome recipes...
 

I miss our hushed recipe sharing sessions 
during those boring conference calls, Girl!  

Calzones...  

She swears by these 
and says they do not squirt all over the back seat of the car, 
enroute to practice... 

I'm going to hold her to that, 
as we are test driving these babies tonight...  

This recipe was adapted from a calzone recipe in 

So, thank you, Ree, for originating this dish!  

Here we go!

Calzones
Ingredients:

Dough:
4 C Flour
1 tsp yeast
1tsp salt
1/3 C Olive oil
1 1/2 C warm water

Filling:
Breakfast sausage. (I didn't have any on hand, so I used 5 links of sweet Italian sausage)
2 C Jar Marinara
Pepperoni
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
2 T Jar Pesto




 Brown the sausage in the skillet..


 Next, I always drain meat in a colander 
and rinse it with cold water.  
It's my mom's tip to really get the grease out.  
I do what my mama says....



 In a bowl, stir together the marinara and pesto.  
The pesto adds a little zing.  
Who couldn't use some zing now and then?



Add in the sausage and stir together.  
Cover and place in fridge until assembly begins.


To Make Dough:  
1 1/2 cups warm water - sprinkle on a teaspoon of yeast 
and let it sit for a minute or two.

In your mixer, put 4 cups flour 
and drizzle in 1/3 cup olive oil 
with the paddle (not dough hook) on low.
Add one teaspoon salt.


Now stir the water and yeast gently 
and slowly pour into the mixer 
until it all comes together.


Put some olive oil on your hands 
and scoop it all out into a ball - 
place in a bowl that has been rubbed 
with olive oil and cover 
with a damp/warm towel.
Let dough rise 2-3 hours.


Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Take the dough in balls 
(a little smaller than a baseball) 
and press them down on a floured surface.

 Roll into a circle 
(about the size of a tortilla).


 Place the marinara down in the middle, then sausage, 
4 pepperonis 
and a handful of cheese.


 Fold over and press closed with a fork.


Place them on a greased cookie sheet 
and brush with olive oil 
(I added some garlic powder to my olive oil).

Bake for about 15 minutes until they are browned. 
This made about 10 large calzones.


 I am going to freeze the extras for on the go meals.

 Ashlyn said:

"I wrapped them in foil and put them in a lined cooler and off we went. When my husband got to the game around 7:30 p.m. they were still warm. We'll be having the leftovers tonight. I'll definitely make these again and again. Super easy and very easy to eat, not messy at all for the car!"

We may not have our recipe sharing sessions in person  anymore, 
but we girls still share via the web. 

P.S.:  The calzones were deelish
and loved by the family...
Thanks for the great recipe, my Friend!



No comments:

Post a Comment